25 HP Evinrude Peeing Problems

MarkAB

Seaman Apprentice
I have just bought a 70's 25hp. It has been standing for 3 years but after a little pulling starts and runs well out on the water. I noticed that water squirting out of the outlet does not stream but gushes with a lot of spray. The motor does not get too hot (no steam and can touch)<br />The motor will be serviced next month but in the interim, is there a way I can check the outlet for obstruction? Someone suggested I push some wire up the hole? Is this safe? I do not want to dismantle anything myself.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 HP Evinrude Peeing Problems

Mark,<br /><br />Indeed you are due for a water pump replacement after 3 years of sitting. They tend to take a "set" in one direction and don't pump as well like this. In the meanwhile. do as suggested and push a wire up the pee hose and try to clear it out. Could be the impeller is shot and that's why it's not peeing. Give serious thought to replacing it right now, as you don't want the engine to overheat or the impeller to break up and clog water passages inside the motor. Where does the water "Gush" alot of spray? Out the relief holes at the top of the lower unit? Are you running on muffs or in a large tub of water?

MarkAB

Seaman Apprentice

Rick,<br /><br />Tx for the prompt response and advice.<br /><br />The water "gushes" out of a single outlet on the shaft just below the motor. I put the motor in a tub, but have checked it whilst out on the river as well. I noticed on my previous motor that a stream of water exits the outlet cleanly, but am not getting the same stream from this one.<br /><br />You advise a water pump replacement. Is this different to an impeller replacement?

waterinthefuel

Commander

Nah dude, its the same thing. The water pump is the impeller.