245hp 20ft IMP can't get on plane... Few questions

jstcrzyengh

Seaman
Hello everyone,<br /><br />Great site I have really enjoyed reading everything and have picked up a few ideas on what could be my problem, but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.<br /><br />The boat is a 1971 IMP 20ft Cuddy Cabin. It has a OMC electric drive outdrive and a Chevy 350, I assume from the same year, but I am not sure.<br /><br />While taking the boat out yesterday after $2,300 worth of new outdrive repairs which included a new Forward spring, new reverse magnet, new tilt motor, new shift cable, new wiring, and new warm up lever for the shifter, (I just purchased the boat ugh!) we could not get the boat on plane. At WOT it would maybe do 15 KNTS. It was a true dog. Before I start ripping things apart to figure it out let me give you some of the first observations. <br /><br />1. The tachometer would only go up to 1500 RPM, the engine sounded higher, but the Tach wouldnt show it. Now out of the water at home on the trailer with little to no strain on the engine we can get it to 3200 RPM no problem.<br /><br />2. I noticed it appears to be a VERY small leak from the right side of one of the manifolds that drips onto the spark wires, now it idles just fine, I am not noticing any stumbling like it is not getting spark... But would rather let everyone know that upfront.<br /><br />3. The distributer cap is loose. The Engine cover can easily knock it off. Now while that will kill the engine, putting it back on it fires right up, but I am thinking that this could have something to do with it. The Distributer is a mallory Distributer. I believe it is a electronic ignition upgrade distributer.<br /><br />4. Fuel, it had some fuel sitting in there for at least 4 months, from what I am told anyway. Could be bad, but not sure. <br /><br />Here is my course of action, but it just doesnt seem to be what the problem could be, but I am use to rebuilding cars, not boats per say.<br /><br />Rebuild the carb, I believe it is a 2bbl Holley. I would like to upgrade to a 4bbl soon. Replace all the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Change oil and filter out to mobil 1. Change out the fuel filter. Run the starbrite fuel treatment. Possibly install a new distributer. Any other ideas for the lack of speed? The boat weighs in at around 2800lbs dry. We had 20gallons of fuel, and I even tried moving the guys upfront but it did no good. Any ideas to do as well? I would like to do everything all at once.<br /><br />James

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 245hp 20ft IMP can't get on plane... Few questions

Moving to I/O questions.