235hp no power

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 evinrude 235hp v6 runs great in neutral with the cold start lever. When i put it in gear rpm's will not go above 2000. I checked the timer base and found no spark to three cylinders. I thought i had found the problem until i put on a new one and still will not rev past 2000. I replaced 1 power pack still same issue. I started checking coil packs i started with cylinders 1 3 & 5 when i pulled the wire off the motor changed sounds so i figure it's working. When i pulled 1&3 no change but there is spark because i got zapped could those coils be bad even though there is spark. On the other side i get zapped when i touch the wires before i could even get them off. Any help would be great i have been fighting this forever and it's getting real old.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 235hp no power

Do you have a manual for your engine? You have spent a lot of money replacing parts and not fixed your problem. Get a manual and follow the troubleshooting section and find and repair your problem.

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 235hp no power

No i don't have a manual but i had to change the timer base anyway it was bad. The power pack i changed because the person i bought it from didn't have the wright style on i need a terminal pack and he had a sealed unit on. thanks i will see if i could find a manual.