23' Regal vrs 23' Sea Ray? Differences?

jstubble

Cadet
I've been looking at purchasing a new (used) boat, and have been looking mainly at 1989-94 Sea Ray Sundancers - 22'-26' range (need the family feel of the cabin space for my 3 yr old and 1 yr old), but stumbled upon a 23' Regal 233 Ambasador that looked nice. <br /><br />Not being familiar with the Regal brand of boats, thought I'd post it out here. <br /><br />Any comments on Sea Rays, or Regals? Which is a better boat? How do both of these compare to Bayliners? Any thoughts, comments or experiences would be appreciated!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 23' Regal vrs 23' Sea Ray? Differences?

In my opinion ( I have owned both a 29 ft Regal and a 30 ft Sea Ray), they are both high quality boats. However, in some parts of the country, Regal is pretty much an unknown when it comes to resale time. I think in general there is a perceived higher quality with the Sea Ray. Just a personal opinion, but I would take either over a Bayliner...any day.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bought a 94 sundancer last year. The boat has held up very well, but it was always trailered, and stored inside and only 210 hours. The only knok on it is it only has 8 foot beam, I believe the regal has a 8ft 6 in beam, and the color scheme, has to be the nastiest looking green around.And I realy don't like the cockpit layout, the 25 ft searay of the same year has the new cockpit layout with the cabin door in the middle and looks like a better layout.I think general perception is searay is a step above regal, but I would,nt let that make your decision.Check out the layout that suits your needs.The newer Bayliner Cierra (99 and on) has a good layout for fishing, I would not be afraid to buy one of them if its in your price range and suits your needs.If you have questions about the 94 23 sundancer I will be happy to answer.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not partial or anything :rolleyes: however I think Sea Ray is a step above in fit and finish. Also as stated earlier, resale value is much better.

jstubble

Cadet

Any thoughts on Cruisers, Inc. Holidays and Arias? You can get a 1995 aria 24' used for about the same price as a 1989 sea ray sundancer? Is Cruisers a crappy boat?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Cruisers are equally high quality as Sea Ray. Of course it is a personal opinion.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My latest boat is a cruisers 3375, I could have bought another Sea Ray, I decided to go with a cruisers and am happy with my choice.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

jstubble,that Regal you are looking at is a great boat.It is almost identical to the 255 which I owned for 8 years and it was the best boat I have ever owned.There is a very large aft cabin in that boat for a 23footer.Regal is a quality boat.I have owned searay and several Regals and find the quality to be similar.The only knock on the Regal I can think of is that the gelcoat fades on the blue and teal ones.I would highly recommend the boat you are looking at.The 255 has a larger aft cabin than any other boat up to 34 feet,believe me I checked .I really miss that boat!!! I moved up to the 280 which is a lot bigger than the 255 was.The weight is almost doubled.again,I highly recommend Regal.Charlie

jstubble

Cadet

Charlie, thanks for the tip. I'm also considering a regal valanti mid-cabin express 1991 24ft ($14,000). Did you look at valentis verses Ambassadors? What are the major differences?<br /><br />
Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> jstubble,that Regal you are looking at is a great boat.It is almost identical to the 255 which I owned for 8 years and it was the best boat I have ever owned.There is a very large aft cabin in that boat for a 23footer.Regal is a quality boat.I have owned searay and several Regals and find the quality to be similar.The only knock on the Regal I can think of is that the gelcoat fades on the blue and teal ones.I would highly recommend the boat you are looking at.The 255 has a larger aft cabin than any other boat up to 34 feet,believe me I checked .I really miss that boat!!! I moved up to the 280 which is a lot bigger than the 255 was.The weight is almost doubled.again,I highly recommend Regal.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Personally I did not like the valenti model.The ambassador hull is larger and the cabin is higher and larger.It is more of an overnighter/cruiser style.The valenti is more streamline and the cabin is less acommodating,especially for overnighting.I would never own a cruiser without an aft cabin and the ambassadors have the best aft I have ever seen.It really depends what style of boating you are planning on doing.Charlie