23’ Harris pontoon w/ 135 plowing in back

DaRedNek

Cadet
I just bought a 23’ Harris 230 royal heritage with a Honda 135 4 stroke. No lifting strakes. It plows terrible in the rear. The back deck rail is almost at water level. It runs about 23mph with 2 people. I found a 17’ toon that is the same diameter for $800 on Marketplace. That should cover the area in front of the motor pod. I was thinking of underskinning and throwing this third toon on it at the same time. I’m not looking to go 40mph, it just seems it should be up out of the water a little more than it is. Does this sound like a solid plan? I’m no pontoon expert. I’ve ran center consoles for years and this is my first toon since I was a kid. What say you experts?

Attachments

• 37D43DDB-A71F-4F80-A788-52AB7EF1D0F9.jpeg
    37D43DDB-A71F-4F80-A788-52AB7EF1D0F9.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what is the capacity tag say for the motor rating? you may have too big a motor on the back of the boat.

are the logs water-logged?

what diameter toon logs?

DaRedNek

Cadet
what is the capacity tag say for the motor rating? you may have too big a motor on the back of the boat.

what diameter toon logs?
Not 100% on the tag because it’s at the lake, but the specs I pulled up online say 130, unless it’s a certain model then higher.

25” diameter toons

excuse my ignorance, but what does water logged logs mean?

DaRedNek

Cadet

what diameter toon logs?
The specs

Attachments

• ADD0569C-72A4-48A8-B902-F5C0430E28C1.jpeg
    ADD0569C-72A4-48A8-B902-F5C0430E28C1.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 10

DaRedNek

Cadet
I have no idea if they have drain plugs or not. I will have to check though.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some pontoon logs are hollow and some have a foam type filling. If water gets into the foam, it can act like a sponge and hold the water even when the drain is opened. .... If you have no drain, one can be added, typically at the back end near the bottom.

ahicks

Captain
You've got way too heavy a motor on that boat, even with the 25" 'toons.
If you add a 3rd toon forward of the engine pod, you may carry the weight better, you may not. The back of the boat is where you need the lift. A 3rd log may be too far forward, unless it's designed to replace the engine pod with a new transom.

The 135 Honda and a boat that size are just not a good match. I would be looking for a different motor, or a tritoon hull. There's a very good reason you are not going to see many conventional 2 tube pontoons powered by a 135 Honda. The biggest are usually the 90 Honda, and the 115 Mercs and Yamahas - all weigh about the same, and pretty much max out 25" pontoons for their ability to carry the weight. Even those motors are pushing it....

We have 1 boat on our (pretty good size) lake with a motor that size on a 2 tube pontoon. It's a 28' boat, and I beleive it was originally I/O powered. Huge toons. Maybe 28".

Your 130 rating is about a 4 cylinder 2 stroke. A 4 stoke is way heavier. If you go 6 cylinder 2 stroke, THAT motor will be too heavy!

Best of luck!

captmello

Captain
I would like to add, from my experience with my boat, the 3rd tube will not lift the rear of the boat. I added an 18' tube to my 24 footer a few years back, it sits about 2 feet in front of my motor pod, and is even with the other tubes at the front. I am very pleased with the results. However the rear of the boat sits exactly the same as it did before, about half way underwater. the front sits about 3 inches higher. If the 17 foot tube your looking at will bolt up easily to your boat, I'd do it, regardless of the fact that it wont float the rear better. I still believe you have water in your tubes.
My 23" toons are half underwater at rest. while my motor is not as heavy as yours, I know i can have two people on my sundeck over the motor and a full 29 gallon fuel tank which sits next to the motor, and the tubes are only down 2 or 3 more inches. IMO, water in the tubes is your problem. not only does the water weight it down, but it also reduces the air space that would otherwise be giving you lift. If they are foam filled and waterlogged, you are in trouble...
Let us know what you find.

Wingnut162

Recruit
I would look for a used Tritons with smaller motor and then do a motor swap and then sell your double toon with small er motor. But first investigate the water in the toons.