225 V6 2 Stroke Evinrude Won't Go

golver

Seaman Apprentice
Boat has 2 225 Evinrudes on it, approx 1987. Boat sat for about 2 years prior to me buying it. Motors were redone before they sat and only have about 115 hours on them. Both engines run off the same gas tank. One of them runs perfect, idles perfect, in and out of gear perfect, and works great under load.

The other one idles perfect. In neutral will ramp up to any RPM and run there perfect. Shifts in and out of gear perfect. Motor has new plugs and the points were redone. One magnet came off the flywheel, so that was also replaced.

The problem with the motor is that when it is in gear, it dies or tops out at about 1500 rpms. It just wont go. All other times it runs perfect till you give it gas in gear.

My first thought was the gas, but then wouldnt that have effect the other motor too. Mechanic has been working on this for three weeks. I would like to get this resolve so I can get in the water this year.

golver

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 225 V6 2 Stroke Evinrude Won't Go

Anybody? Bueller, Bueller....

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Doesn't the tilt switch limit the rpm's to 1500? Possibly a prob in the tilt mechanism?

golver

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds possible but not plausible. Anybody else? Need some help please.

D5GT

Cadet

Stumedic said:
Doesn't the tilt switch limit the rpm's to 1500? Possibly a prob in the tilt mechanism?

What do you mean? did they have those systems -late eighties?

Walker

Captain

Nope. Compression, fuel/air, spark. Start with a compression test. My guess is it has fouled carbs. Sitting for 2 years both motors could use a good carb cleaning.