225 Johnson Cylinder Scoring

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I recently rebuilt my 1998 Johnson 225. It runs great, but now that I have about 5 hours on the break in I realized that the cylinders are scored. The compression was uneven, and I checked a few of the cylinders using a borescope and found the scoring. I though it blew up last time due to the crankcase halves not beings sealed properly, and I made sure they were sealed properly this time. I have came up with a few potential problems, and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give any other suggestions. These are the potential issues I came up with:

Low fuel pressure: I put a fuel pressure gauge and clear hose in the line. There is no air in the fuel. However, the fuel pressure is somewhat unsteady. It good most of the time, but every two seconds or so it will drop and recover almost immediately. Is this normal, or is this a sign of a bad fuel pump?

To Hot/Cold: Is there a good way to check the temperature of the motor to make sure it is operating at the correct temperature? And what is the correct temperature? The water pump was just replaced, and the water pressure is good.

Lower Crank Case Seal: #6 cylinder has the lowest compression, so I thought there might be a problem with this seal. However, the rest of the cylinders I checked were scored as well.

It doesn’t appear the motor is running lean. The spark plugs looked good when I pulled them, which is why I thought it may be a cooling issue, but I don’t know how much you can actually tell by looking at a spark plug. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Was it bored and honed or just new rings and/or pistons? Is the VRO connected? Were you running a break in mix of gas and oi?

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
It was bored and honed with new rings and pistons. VRO is still connected. I put oil in the gas as well for break in. I do need to check and verify that the correct amount of oil has been used out of the oil tank though. I forgot to check this.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Possibly an expensive mistake.-----Procedure is the mix 25:1 in the tank.-----Then run the test on the VRO to make sure it is pumping the correct amount of oil.-----Clean / flush oil tank.----Replace oil filter in the tank.----Replace oil hoses.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Operating temp should be 130-140F at the top of the heads. 160F is too hot. Not clear to me how one can tear a motor apart with determining proper operating temps and other basic tests. If the heads are too hot to touch, it's too hot. The ignition output has to be about 1/2 inch (7/16) using an adjustable open tester (cheap). Not the inline style of laying the plug on the block.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sound more like the block wasn't washed out properly and damaged by honing debris.

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
The oil tank level has dropped proportionately so it is getting the double oil it needs. I had also thought that It may have not been cleaned properly. I had the machine shop clean it, then I cleaned it some more before assembly because there were still some debris in the cylinders but I did not clean it as thoroughly as I normally would have because the machine shop had already cleaned it.

Should the 130 to 140 degrees just be at the external surface at the top of the heads?