225 EFI Oil tank, ODD1,CORM JB

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dont want to appear to be a bone head, but I stared at this thig for 3 hours today! How and the heck does this remote tank hook up. Understand it is pressure drive. @ hoses coming of of tank, 1 is pickup, other I am assuming is where pressure is introduce into tank via cap. OK so far ? I understand also thatnk tak on engine is reserve and has low oil sensor in it. COming off of this tak at the top is a hose, drops straight down into t T fitting, on T fitting nipples are differnt size, However hose from big tank both hoses same size. On other side of engine at base is another nippe on motor itself. I thinks this is where pressure is derives for the tank. But I would expect a jumper hose to other side of engine. And then what is coming off the smaller side of that T. I know all this is in the manula, but cant find one for this motor. Be republished is what I was told at 2 marine stores this weekend. :confused:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 225 EFI Oil tank, ODD1,CORM JB

Merciless, I gotta answer for ya!<br />here is how it works....that little nipple at base of motor is where pressure comes from to pressurize the remote tank in the boat...usually 2 to 4 PSI....the 2 paired hoses, one has a blue stripe on it, that is the oil line...the unmarked is your air pressure line...so, air pressure pushes oil up to the reserve tank on the engine....the blue stripe oil line hooks onto the larger of the 2 nipples on the brass tee....THE LITTLE NIPPLE MUST BE LEFT ALONE.....<br /> now, when the system is working right, the reserve tank is constantly replenished by this system, BUT if someboby sets a battery on the oil lines, or somehow blocks either one of them, you will lose pressure in the reserve tank, and the oil injection pump will still want to pull oil out of that tank.<br /> now if the pump wants oil outta the tank, air has got to get in...that is the purpose of that 'mysterious third nipple' HARHAR....there is a check valve in that tee that open at 2 in of vac***m...allowing air in the tank, so the oil pump can work, an when low enough level in tank, the alarm tells you your gonna have less fun......

gboon

Cadet

Just adding a couple of things to ODDD1's response. There should be a short section of tubing placed on the small side of the T fitting (check valve)to help keep dirt out if it has to work. The tubing does not connect to anything on the other end. You can open the cap on the reserve tank with the motor running to purge air from the line and tank, but only open the cap enough to let air out and be ready to close it quick. Once the oil starts flowing it fills fast and makes a real mess if it overflows. I just went through this while relocating the remote on my 150- V6.

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANK YOU THANK YOU, Solves the mystery...<br /> :D

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ummmm, 1 more ?, I assume that this oil pump is mechanical vs electrical, So since both oil tanks are bone dry, when i fill tanks, and light motor, should i first disconnect battery and whirl this baby with an impact to get oil flow, or just prime cylinders with a shot of good ol oil prior to firing up, Or is there some other way to prime oil, like on a small block chevy, pull distributo and spinn oil pump. I know this is elemantary but , no lube in a 2 stroke is suicide !!! ANd ODDD! you must work for a Merc dealer, I order lots of parts online but want dealer name to put in ther, dont know if you get any kick back from this, if so what is your dealer name, I will use it when ordering parts to get shipped.<br />Thanks again for advice, AM seqarching for a prop, LAST THING yippeee, looking at a Mirage , 21 pitch, sound bout right ???<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />MM, ever in Tampa/ ST Pete let me know, we'll hit the flats, go out grouper digging then troll for some kings and top it off with a dive !!!! :cool:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Merciless mike....start that motor on premix..[50:1].... there is a small phillips head screw on almost all mikuni oil pumps..[it has a little red fiber washer under the head, too] that ,if loosened, will allow you to bleed all the air out of the feed lines to the pump.....you gotta run it to bleed the pump itself and the out put lines....watch the output line when idling, you should see a pulse of oil every several seconds...<br /> I used to be on mercs "online store" but have shut my branch down, for now....the relatively heavy time investment for dollars generated was silly.....

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx ODDD1, YOU ROCK !!!<br /><br />Have all electrical harness now installed and WORKING. Fuel and oil lines(blue line is liquid ), Steering, Will bleed through oil pump, Now just waiting for a 1A key and combo guage to show up and I will be golden...I hope.<br /><br />Thanks Again, may need more assistance }-:<br /><br />MM :eek: