20hp 4stroke suzuki

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Man after hoping i made the right decision,i did.This motor is a stud.I love the way it starts and runs,i did a little toying with it today and the ease of use was great.I'm going to the lake in the morning to do some breakin and a few wot runs to see how she gets up and goes.The motor is so darn light,easy to tilt is what i feared would stir me away.It has the same type of tilt system like merc with the shallow water systems,the mercs ratchet system is supperior to any outboard today for a portable outboard today but this suzuki is just awesome im so darn glad i bought it.I will post wot speeds and how it runs on the water with the boat it's on.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20hp 4stroke suzuki

On a light reasonably fast boat your 20 could make 27 to 30 mph.If you get us your boat size/type, gear ratio,prop size, rpm and gps speed we can help get the most out of your setup.

Last edited:

boater1234

Well it's on a 1436 crestliner that is 185lbs,extremely light,prop is a 9.25x10,Gps i will find out here soon,prob tom morning,Max rpm is 6300,gear ratio is 2.08.

From a few people i know who have this motor,they have an issue with over reving with 2 full adults and gear,so i'm guessing this motor will at least need an 11pitch prop but i'm going to test it at wot to see what happens with the 10pitch prop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is anything like the DF30, it is a wonderful engine. Strong running, quiet, clean, and the power tilt/trim works flawlessly. The 30 is an not so nice engine to repair though, complex and not fun to fix.

boater1234

I know it's only 106lbs with the electric start,i believe the 30hp was way heavier.I do like this engine so far,i can't wait to take it out on the water tom morning.I'm so pumped to finally get in the water after so long.Plus i'm glad i waited to buy this motor instead of the 20hp merc.They are both outstanding motors but i like the efi and the weight of the engine.It's so light,i can lift it up with no issue at all,i really thought it would be a bit harder to move around.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 2.08 ratio make 30 less likely.If the motor can make 6300 with a 10" prop speed would be about 25 assuming 12% slip.
With a 2.08 ratio it should respond well to a load.

boater1234

There is a guy on youtube who works for suzuki i believe in i want to say uk.He runs all sorts of tests with dif loads and prop sizes.He just put a post up here recently with a new 12pitch prop they made for this motor now.He is in an inflatable boat,with just him and he has the gps in his hand so you can see it,he is doing 51km per hr which i believe is near 30mph in our terms.He is turning 5700rpm according to his gps

With a 11pitch prop he's near 48km per hr with just him,With 2,3 or 4 people it goes down a bit in speed but not as bad as you would think,i think that 48kph is near 28mph.His gps shows he's turning at 5950 rpms
With a 10pitch prop he said he can't get an accurate reading because it over revs all the time so it's def pushing well past 6300rpms

I think the 11pitch would be just right with 1 or 2 people and gear from the way it sounds.25-30mph in a 1436 is scary fast,i did 31mph with my 1442 alumacraft with a 25hp 2stroke merc on it and i have to tell you i don't think we even touched water most of the time thats how fast it seemed we would go.That boat was scary on turns but it was a fun boat to.

boater1234

Nice,i just got my new prop i ordered from here.Man it was cheap to,took a few days.My new prop was only $65,man for now on i'm going to start ordering all my props from here.It's a solas 11pitch 9.25 diameter aluminum prop.I'm going out tom so i'm going to test the 10pitch prop on the lake for like 30minutes with just me in the boat and then with me and a friend in the boat,then switch to the 11pitch prop to see the differnce.Hey if the 11 works overall well i will just have a brand new 10 as a spare.I ordered some cotter pins,i thought they were $1.20 a piece so i ordered 5 but they come in packs of 4,didn't know that,now i have enough to last the rest of my life,20,lol.

Hey if i get over 20mph in any way or fashion i will be doing good.I'm hoping to get near 25mph or better.Like i said doing 30 or more on a boat like mine is scary fast,when you think of 30mph it doesn't seem like much because in a car it doesn't seem fast,but on the water it feels like 60.

boater1234

I have a question i need help on please.When i go to change the oil and filter i noticed there is 2 o rings,one that fits under the cap and one that looks smaller and fits behind the oil filter.What exactly do i have to change besides the oil filter and oil?

Plus do i need to change the little washers on the screws of the lower unit everytime when doing a lower unit oil change?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't help you ion the filter etc but they do recommend to change the washers on the drain and vent screws.

limitout

Banned

I have a question i need help on please.When i go to change the oil and filter i noticed there is 2 o rings,one that fits under the cap and one that looks smaller and fits behind the oil filter.What exactly do i have to change besides the oil filter and oil?

Plus do i need to change the little washers on the screws of the lower unit everytime when doing a lower unit oil change?

you can go online and get a copy of the owners manual that covers all maint issues and they are found free.

you can also find the factory repair service manuals for a few dollars that cover minor as well as major repairs and troubleshooting.

I suggest you get copies of both and keep them handy, when motors get older this type of info can be very hard or even impossible to find

boater1234

I have the manual,but it doesn't say a word about the o rings.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could look up 20 hp suzuki outboard oil change on youtube I didn't see any o rings mentioned.

boater1234

I saw a video on you tube of a whole complete oil change on the 20hp,it doesn't show him changing the o ring in the cap but someone from my other forums i go on suggested i do that,plus on ebay when you type in the oil filter number they have the o rings seperate to buy,maybe it's just a inspect thing and if it looks worn then replace it.

boater1234

When he changes the oil the cap has some sealant i guess from the factory around the hole were the cap goes on,he cleans it and just puts a new filter in and lubes the o ring in the cap and then just bolts it back on.He doesn't put any new sealant on so i'm guessing the o ring is all that's needed to seal the cap from the oil leaking after an oil change,just want to make sure i have this 100%correct,the last thing i need is an engine that leaks oil.

limitout

Banned

When he changes the oil the cap has some sealant i guess from the factory around the hole were the cap goes on,he cleans it and just puts a new filter in and lubes the o ring in the cap and then just bolts it back on.He doesn't put any new sealant on so i'm guessing the o ring is all that's needed to seal the cap from the oil leaking after an oil change,just want to make sure i have this 100%correct,the last thing i need is an engine that leaks oil.

yep, somewhere along the line someone put sealant on it just to be extra safe or maybe because the o-ring was bad and didn't have one to replace it at that time.

the oil plug for the crank case has a gasket but the lower unit just has O-rings to seal it