2021 Ram Oil and fuel filters

alldodge

Staff member
Changed oil and fuel filters for first time on my truck. The oil filter is in the same location as the 2008 (old truck) but they have some kind of protection steel piece of @#$ in the way. No way to get at it from under the truck so you have to get at it from the passenger side wheel well. The filter also has to come out the same hole side ways. They did add a piece of plastic above the brace and dish it to a drain spot.

Designer needs to be shot

s3.jpgSlide2.JPG

The fuel filters were not great either. First is just in front of rear axle and second is on driver side of engine about the same as before. All made of plastic and are tighter then a sob so worry about breaking them on removal.

Cycled the ignition and then noticed I didn't close the drain port on the engine filter and had diesel running across the shop floor. Hope when I do this again it will be a bit easier.

polar_face.jpg

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like a good excuse for a remote filter mounting kit.

briangcc

Commander
I have heard that the Hemi oil filters are put on with air guns and are likewise situated near the engine cross member making them *interesting* to remove on the Ram. Plenty of Youtube videos filled with colorful metaphors on first oil changes on those.

Luckily my dealership offers 1st oil change for free so I took them up on that one.

May try the next one on my own.

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have heard that the Hemi oil filters are put on with air guns

May try the next one on my own.

Nothing to them. Just messy is all. I've been changing the oil on my 2011 Ram since new. Some guys get all into makeshift funnels and divertors but I just put old cardboard under the filter area and catch most of the mess in the oil change pan. Wipe off the dribbles and get used to having an aromatic truck for a couple of days. 😆

I did put a fumoto valve on the drain plug and like it. It makes the draining part a little quicker, but I also figure that's one less threaded part getting stressed over time.

briangcc

Commander
Nothing to them. Just messy is all. I've been changing the oil on my 2011 Ram since new. Some guys get all into makeshift funnels and divertors but I just put old cardboard under the filter area and catch most of the mess in the oil change pan. Wipe off the dribbles and get used to having an aromatic truck for a couple of days. 😆

I did put a fumoto valve on the drain plug and like it. It makes the draining part a little quicker, but I also figure that's one less threaded part getting stressed over time.
Again, IF you can remove the filter in the first place. Air guns and a cross member make it interesting on the new body style Rams like my 2021.

Watch a few Youtube videos on the new body style to see what I'm referring to as it became a problem with the redesign...not on your older '11.