2016 Tahoe 215 Xi Deck Boat - Switching from Aluminum to Stainless

jwdavis28

Seaman
The concern about a Stainless Steel prop causing more damage to your prop shaft/gears if you hit something with it is really no longer an issue if you get a SS prop with the break-away hub. For a Mercruiser, it's called Flo-Torq II. These are a specially designed hub that you buy as a kit and insert into the SS prop, and it's designed to take the impact if you hit something with the SS prop. I highly recommend it.

Yeah I'm not overly concerned with prop strike and SS due exactly to what you mentioned. Used to be a large issue, don't think so any longer.

jwdavis28

Seaman
Just talked to my dealer and he is recommending the Mercury Enertia ECO in a 16 pitch. Is this dropping too much from the 18 pitch aluminum given that I'm already running over the rec max rpms of 5200 (getting 5400).

Thoughts?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I would try a higher pitch with those RPM's. Is there a dealer close to you that would let you try a prop without buying it?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was stated 5400 wot revs with delivered 3 blade prop 19 pitch and 3 up achieved at full hammer down on flat calm no wind water cond ? if so and rev limiter didn't kick in, there's nothing to worry about. Nobody runs full throttle all the time as it's a fuel comsumption related issue. That prop performs top should stay with it.

Happy Boating

jwdavis28

Seaman
Was stated 5400 wot revs with delivered 3 blade prop 19 pitch and 3 up achieved at full hammer down on flat calm no wind water cond ? if so and rev limiter didn't kick in, there's nothing to worry about. Nobody runs full throttle all the time as it's a fuel comsumption related issue. That prop performs top should stay with it.

Happy Boating

Exactly those conditions. And did it again today. Would just like more mid range hookup on turns etc for water sports.

Jlemon37

Recruit
Just changed to a stainless prop on my Q7i SSF with 250 4.5. Gained 4mph, Looks great and I don't worry so much now about small sticks floating in the river.

jwdavis28

Seaman
Just changed to a stainless prop on my Q7i SSF with 250 4.5. Gained 4mph, Looks great and I don't worry so much now about small sticks floating in the river.

What was your stock prop specs and what did you change to?