2015 4.3 EFI 220 hp stalls sometimes going into neutral

peter_reinhard

Recruit
Hello. I'm new here so hello all. I moved to a lake and bought an almost new Larson 195 with the Mercruiser 4.3 EFI 220 motor. The boat flies. It has only 20 hours on it. On my first time with it, it stalled once going out of gear. I've done my reading and it sounds like the shift interrupter switch. A sticky on this forum also shows how the system works but it is from a much older model.
Here is what I did: Someone told me that the gap between the switch and the plastic V is equal to a 1/32 drill bit. I used an 030 round feeler gauge and think I adjusted the switch correctly. It still stalls once in a while. Not all the time. But the motor really dies or takes a big stumble when shifting out of forward or reverse. I noticed there is what looks like another switch below the one I adjusted but I can't really see it well or how one would adjust it, if in fact it needs adjusting. It looks like I'd have to remove more linkages to get at it.
So I'm kind of annoyed that an almost new boat would do this. It makes docking more of a challenge if its windy, etc. I bought it at a dealer which is an hour drive away so I'd rather try to fix it myself while it is in the water. I appreciate any advice.(I called them but it is finally beautiful weather here in the north east and I'll bet they are working full-out)

Also, what good shop manual would you recommend I get?
Thanks
Pete

thumpar

Admiral
Sure sounds like something to do with the shift interrupt switch. Make sure there is nothing sticking.

The only good manual is the factory manuals.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
So, after you bought it you did do the required service on the engine and drive BEFORE putting in in the lake.
stalling coming out of gear is usually a stiff/sticky/damaged lower shift cable
There is only 1 shift interupter switch and no disassembly is required to adjust it.

Last edited:

peter_reinhard

Recruit
Thanks guys for the replies. Last night was beautiful and it did not stall when I took some friends out, but it sure skips a beat each move into neutral! Like almost engine stalling, but not. Is that normal? Years ago we had a Formula with a Volvo-Penta I/O and it never did that. It must have a different gear type I suppose.

Its good to know there is only one switch. I wonder what the other similar looking thing is below the switch that looks to be made of similar plastic and has the same color wires running to it?

I bought the Larson from a boat dealer in MA. They made me wait a few weeks because they had to "prep" it like you suggested and this is the start of boat season so they are very busy. I know they put it in the water at their marina. But I'm wondering how thorough they are if it stalled on my multiple times, say once with each trip.

Do YOU guys adjust by using a 1/32 drill bit as a gauge?

I'll also buy the factory Mercruiser manual.

These web sites are awesome. I also am a big user of Corvette forums and some guys post entire "how-tos" with photos of each step. That sure beats my old Motors Manuals.

Thanks again.

thumpar

Admiral
Volvo uses a cone clutch like the bravo drive so they don't need the shift interrupt. It has to be something between the shift plate and the drive. There are not many parts there.

Fun Times

Staff member
Its good to know there is only one switch. I wonder what the other similar looking thing is below the switch that looks to be made of similar plastic and has the same color wires running to it?
The other switch mounted on the shift plate assembly is more part of the fuel injected system to let the ECM know what gear position the boat is in. http://www.iboats.com/Shift-Bracket...532246--session_id.766649389--view_id.1682811

Do YOU guys adjust by using a 1/32 drill bit as a gauge?
It's equally important that the shift cables are adjusted correctly as much as the shift switch is adjusted right. One of the reasons for the small 1/32 inch gap is to reduce the possibility of any vibration activating the cutout switch killing the engine at times.

While the shifting is the most common issue for stalling, Sometimes there could be other reasons that the engine could be dying during the shifting cycles. If the engine continues to stall after ensuring the shift cables are adjusted correctly, be sure to get your boat in for inspecting during the warranty period.

I'll also buy the factory Mercruiser manual
Being that you have a 2015, You'll need Mercruiser part number 8M0065951 which is the latest service manual #14, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=8m0065951&_sacat=0