2013 Merc 90 EFI leaking motor oil when tilted way up

Scott2020

Cadet
I tilted the motor way up today to make pulling the lower easier on the back. When I looked at the shaft of the lower, the top 8" was coated with motor oil dripping downward. I went back and checked the outboard, it had dripped about 6oz of oil over the tilt tube and into the motor well. The oil smells a little gassy but is still thick. Doesn't look like oil level is down. Does an EFI "make gas"?
So where did this oil come from? Is it normal to leak out if you tilt the OB way up?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Any oil tanks of whatever kind under the cowling? On 2 strokes, that contain an oil tank under the cowl, if you fill it to the full mark and do what you said, unless you are lucky, even with a new cap and Oring gasket they will leak and make a big mess on the lower cowling in the front.

Scott2020

Cadet
Any oil tanks of whatever kind under the cowling? On 2 strokes, that contain an oil tank under the cowl, if you fill it to the full mark and do what you said, unless you are lucky, even with a new cap and Oring gasket they will leak and make a big mess on the lower cowling in the front.
The 4 stroke engine oil is under the cowling, but I've never seen it leak. Thanks for the idea tho.

Scott2020

Cadet
The 4 stroke engine oil is under the cowling, but I've never seen it leak. Thanks for the idea tho.
Some more info on this - The engine oil is coming from where the input shaft enters the engine. If the lower was in place, the oil would be flowing down the shaft, unless the shaft is supposed to stop the flow. Could some seal or O ring be the problem? The oil pours out faster than a loose O ring or seal. The engine has 250 hrs.