2013 legend 20' xcaliber

wmenzie2001

Recruit
Hi Guys
I'm looking to put a kicker on my boat (mentioned above) Only reason I'm finally getting a kicker is my fuel ignition switch went on my main ( 90 hp 4 stroke) and I was stuck in lake erie until I could get a tow. This kicker is basically only going to be used on an emergency basis if my main conks out ever again. My problem is I can find all kinds of 9.9 4 stroke mercs but the majority of them are short shaft. I'm wondering if a short shaft will work for me or do I HAVE to get a long shaft. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on the bracket you use to mount it.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What Scott said. Fixed or adjustable. You need to do some math.
I hung a short shaft off the transome beside the main. Looks like you can do the same. Shortshaft may not work. I had quick connects to connect steering to the main and controlls for the kicker. Good for trolling, but would cavitate when throttled up. Not enough prop in the water. Tried a long on it and didnt like the lower unit dragging when it was tipped up. Adjustable seems to be your best bet becuase it lowers the kicker down and out. Gotta do the math to find what will work.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My Whaler has a SS kicker, and my SeaRay has a LS. Both are fixed mounts.

My previous boat had a retractable mount and a SS kicker. With a retractable mount you can use either shaft as long as you can mount it in the right place.

No simple answer. Go measure.