2012 Merc 15HP 2-stroke - Very hard to start

psa55

Cadet
Hi All,

I got my hands on a brand new 2012 Mercury 15HP 2-Stroke. They managed to get a bunch of them into Canada for sale and I bought one through a dealer that is about 600 miles from me.

I contacted my dealer today and am waiting to hear back. I've had the motor out 4 times in the past few weeks and have completed the break in procedures. The motor runs perfectly, after I get it started and idling. Problem is, it is hard to get to that point.... it is very hard to start.

I am following all of the instructions in the manual.... fill the fuel tank hose and bulb, turn the motor to the fastest idle setting, prime one to three times and leave the choke pulled out, pull starter cord. The motor has started and runs for about 5-10 seconds, then dies.

Regardless of any combination of things I try after it shuts off, the motor will then not start. After wearing myself out pulling on the starter cord the other day, a fellow fisherman with a 2-stroke Merc. pulled up beside me and said that they can be a bit stubborn. He said, to lift the cowl and give it a little throttle as I pull it over.... Low and behold... engines starts and runs like a top!

Given that this is a new motor, I'm not happy to have to do that to get this thing going. Anyone every come across this problem before, or know of the solution?

The gear shift lever is on the tiller, so I can't use the tiller to give it a bit more gas.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!
Scott

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2012 Merc 15HP 2-stroke - Very hard to start

Isn't there a START position on the tiller. That should give it enough throttle to start.

psa55

Cadet
Re: 2012 Merc 15HP 2-stroke - Very hard to start

Yes. It says START/NEUTRAL. If it is not in this position, you cannot pull the engine over.