2008 Yamaha 50tlr Trim/Tilt Working Intermittently

sshorter

Recruit
I have a 2008 Yamaha 50tlr. I have been having a problem finding the cause of my trim intermittently. Basically sometimes it works sometimes it does not. The steps I have taken so far are below:

1. Verified the trim motor was working by hooking 12v straight to the green and blue wires.
2. I then proceeded to order a cheap amazon relay. I got it in and installed it. It seemed to be doing good for about 3 uses, then stopped working again. So I wrote it off as a cheap part gone bad. I ordered a genuine Yamaha relay and swapped it. It is still having the same problem.
3. The relay is getting signal from both switches, you can hear it clicking.
4. I am fixing to pull apart the harness near the relay to see if I can locate a bad spot in the wiring.

Any advice at what to look at next?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you can hear the relay operating when you hit each switch, then you are left with a bad battery cable or just a connection on either end of the + or - cable

sshorter

Recruit
if you can hear the relay operating when you hit each switch, then you are left with a bad battery cable or just a connection on either end of the + or - cable
Thanks I will give that a look! I know the relay is getting ~12.6 volts when I was putting a multimeter to it.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks I will give that a look! I know the relay is getting ~12.6 volts when I was putting a multimeter to it.
Is the pump motor on the T and T unit getting ~12.6 volts when the relay is activated?

Voltage without current flow is meaningless.

cyclops222

Ensign
Check the relay socket metal parts in each socket space. They can overheat and cause erratic operation. Flashlight and a magnifying lens are very useful for looking.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Check the relay socket metal parts in each socket space. They can overheat and cause erratic operation. Flashlight and a magnifying lens are very useful for looking.
I do not think there are any sockets for a relay to plug into.
all are hard wired on these outboards

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
You might be confusing the relay assembly used on the OP's motor with say a Mercury model that uses separate Bosch style relays.

Here is a photo of the OP's relay assembly.

sshorter

Recruit
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to look at doing some more diagnostics today. I will report back the findings.