2008 Honda BF50 Outboard Stalling

lsementa

Recruit
This past weekend I had a clog in the cooling line that I fixed by blasting air in the line with a garden sprayer. The clog was fixed and the engine was peeing just fine. Before the clog, I blew out what I now know was not the telltale line but it was something else. In the engine, there are two other black hoses that discharge right next to the telltale; what are these lines for or even go to? Nothing in the manual indicates these lines and I have had no luck online. From blowing the incorrect line out, there may have been water in my garden sprayer that could have gotten into those "mystery" lines. Does anyone know what these could be? I know they are not the carb drain lines as those are clear.

Now, I get some stalling at idle or low RPMs but it will run when giving throttle. Any insight is appreciated!

ahicks

Captain
The 2 other lines are carb drains. When you open the screws to drain the float bowls, fuel from each carb would be vented overboard though them. I doubt seriously that you did any damage blowing into them with a garden sprayer.

Stalling at low idle and/or low rpms is usually a flag waving telling you the carbs are dirty/ready to be cleaned. If not too bad, you might get away running a serious dose of Seafoam for a tank or 2 and get away without the cleaning.

Good luck!

lsementa

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. I did not think that they were the carb drains but then again I will verify after I take a closer look this weekend. If they are carb drain lines then I do not think I could have done about damage as the carb drains are clearly closed. I was thinking about trying Seafoam or some stabilizer to see if that might help. Thanks again and stay tuned..

ahicks

Captain
Seafoam, to my knowledge, is the only stabilizer that has a cleaning action as well (that's why I use it!). The others are designed to stabilize your fuel only.