2008 Chaparral Sunesta Merc Engine Sensor Alarms

Hirvelam

Recruit
I have seen people post in other forums that they have this same issue, but haven’t seen a solution yet. Hoping someone here has dealt with it…..

2008 Sunesta with Mercruiser 5.0L MPI A1G2 with Smartcraft v0.34 Networked. When going from a dead stop or slow idle to more than 3000k+ RPM’s quickly the SmartCraft screen displays the message "Engine Sensor" and the red lights on either side blink but no audible alarm is sounded. When I back off the throttle bit (below 3000 RPM) the blinking and display stops then if I give it gradual throttle back to full it never comes back on. Alternatively if I take the throttle from idle to full throttle very gradually, I can achieve WOT with no issues or alarms. I have watched the gauges and nothing from temp to oil pressure to voltage seems off. The mechanic pulled codes off the computer and there was nothing stored. He said it seems like a soft alarm as it isn’t triggering any major code that is getting logged (kind of like a low fuel warning). Seems like it is a sensor that is starting to fail, but where to start. Anyone experience this and have an idea on where to start other than firing that parts cannon at it. Next step will be to try live tracking with it hooked up to the computer so it can see what is out of range causing the alarm. Mechanical thinks it might be a Chaparral issue not a merc issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In your fault scenario, your rapidly increasing fuel demand which in turn is stressing fuel delivery system.

I would change/check the fuel filter(s), make sure the fuel tank is properly vented and check fuel pressure to eliminate the possibility of a failing fuel pump

tpenfield

Staff member
Engine sensor is pretty vague. You may need the computer diagnostics to identify the sensor and related causes better.