2008 BF75 alarm at WOT

jeffrey.bean

Seaman
Hello all,
I have a 2008 bf 75 fuel injected.
I was out this morning crabbing and on the way back in the alarm sounded, the engine lost power and conked out, was running about 5000 rpm’s.
Shut it down and fired her back up, no alarm and cruised back to the ramp at 4000 rpm’s with no issues.
Had a strong cool tell tale, so don’t think it’s an overheating issue.
I just rebuilt the boat, with new fuel tank, lines, fuel/water separator, new fuel filters.
I did notice my oil level was high on the dip stick, I added to much when I changed it last summer.
I have run the boat a WOT a few times since the rebuild, with no issues.
Can I pull up a code on the Honda gauge?
Any ideas on what to check?
Thanks for any insight

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello all,
I have a 2008 bf 75 fuel injected.
I was out this morning crabbing and on the way back in the alarm sounded, the engine lost power and conked out, was running about 5000 rpm’s.
Shut it down and fired her back up, no alarm and cruised back to the ramp at 4000 rpm’s with no issues.
Had a strong cool tell tale, so don’t think it’s an overheating issue.
I just rebuilt the boat, with new fuel tank, lines, fuel/water separator, new fuel filters.
I did notice my oil level was high on the dip stick, I added to much when I changed it last summer.
I have run the boat a WOT a few times since the rebuild, with no issues.
Can I pull up a code on the Honda gauge?
Any ideas on what to check?
Thanks for any insight
I'm not familiar with those engines, but when you get an alarm don't the gauge tell you what the alarm is for, as in overheat, low oil pressure, etc? Are you sure the oil level is high because you overfilled and not water getting in there?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Is it possible you lost oil pressure due to foaming the oil from being overfilled?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Read the codes to see why you got the alarm, otherwise you're just guessing. Speaking of guessing; when was the last time the water pump impeller was replaced?

jeffrey.bean

Seaman
It looks like the problem was loose pieces of scale on the stats.
I got the boat last year, installed a new impeller and descaled the cooling system with a recirculating pump and marine descale.
I guess some pieces broke free and got caught up in the stats.
I did lower the oil level as well.
Everything is running hot straight and normal….for now