2007 Stingray 180RX prop help

jcabbott04

Recruit
2007 Stingray 180RX
Volvo Penta 3.0 GLP-E
18' 135hp

The prop on the boat is really bad. Any suggestion on a prop? Primary use is just riding around, pulling a kneeboard or tube. Not sure what stock pitch and diameter is or which pitch would be good for it. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
2007 Stingray 180RX
Volvo Penta 3.0 GLP-E
18' 135hp

The prop on the boat is really bad. Any suggestion on a prop? Primary use is just riding around, pulling a kneeboard or tube. Not sure what stock pitch and diameter is or which pitch would be good for it. Thanks

Need to pull the prop off and get the numbers off of it. I would guess you have around a 17 to 19 pitch prop. In most cases if you take the prop to a prop repair shop they can fix them pretty cheap and at much less then a new prop

From your engine thread ---
This past weekend, it seemed to be running at a higher RPM than normal at WOT (closer to 5k), yet wasn't going as fast (still was going around 38-40 mph on speedo). Sounds like it was whining a little. Not sure what could be going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your engine is running faster because your prop is damaged and your getting more slip. You should not be exceeding 4800 rpm at WOT

Oh and :welcome: to iboats

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If repair is cost effective get it repaired.Do a lightly loaded wot test run get us the prop size,rpm and gps speed.
We can tell if your setup seems to work and we may be able to tell if improvements can be made.
Your prop size usually appears under the prop nut or near the base of the blades.

jcabbott04

Recruit
I doubt the prop can be fixed, it has a couple small chunks out of it. Just wasn't sure which pitch i should go with. i guess just back with the same that was on there. When i bought the boat, it was like that. I will try to get the size, rpm, and speed this weekend. Thanks for the response!

jcabbott04

Recruit
prop size is 14.25" x 21" - 3 blade. If i go to a 4-blade do you think a 14.25" x 19" is fine?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You would be surprised what they can fix. Chunks missing usually no problem.
It is usually suggested to decrease pitch 1 inch when going to a 4 blade.
Any changes would depend on your previous performance results.