2007 Mercury 15HP 4 stroke

paidfor

Cadet
I just bought a boat with at 15HP Mercury 4 stroke. It is a 2007.

I have ran it one time. It came without any manuals at all. The previous owner had passed away and his son was selling the boat/motor/trailer in his estate. The motor is real low usage.

I pulled the top cover and it has a yellow oil cap which I removed. With the motor in the down position on the boat, I can see no oil in it. The yellow cap has no fuel fill level stick on it. The kid I bought it from said it only takes a quart. If that is the case it sure sits low in the engine.

Can anyone fill me on on how I should care for this motor? I do not want to ruin it. I will be trying to find an owners manual or something quickly, but I would like to use the motor between now and when the manual comes in.

thanks

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2007 Mercury 15HP 4 stroke

Can you find the dipstick?

Dave

paidfor

Cadet

it has no dipstick. Just the yellow cap. I had one person tell me it only takes a quart. I just do not want to ruin the motor. I guess I might go to Academy where they said they bought the motor and see if they know.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a 2005 Merc 15HP 4-stroke and it did have a dip stick.

I cant imagine Mercury redesigned it without a dip stick....
It'll be on the starboard side of the engine.

It's pretty obvious. Do you have a picture of the engine?

And yes, my motor only used 1 quart of oil and you couldnt see the oil when looking down in the yellow cap inlet.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/maintenance-15FS.pdf

Surlaw

Cadet

I just bought a 2005 Mercury 8 hp. It wouldn't start so I took carb off and found it full of oil. After I cleaned it out it ran good. I think when it's hauled around on it's side the oil get into carb and other places. Mine definitely has a dipstick too. Now I have to find out why it doesn't go into gear. I bought a repair Cd manual off Ebay for $10. I did search for my type motor on Ebay and it came up. I saw exact same motor for sale at Gander mountain. Good luck and I also have a force (125) with me.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think Academy would buy it from you as a curiosity piece? A 2007 15 where they forgot to fit a dipstick?

Dave

paidfor

Cadet

update: I looked on the starboard side. No dipstick. But there is a hole where it should go. I guess the previous owner lost it and never replaced it.
So, I am with the program now...once I get another dip stick and drain the oil. Not much telling what is in there. This might explain why it runs a little rough.
Thanks all.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

update: I looked on the starboard side. No dipstick. But there is a hole where it should go. I guess the previous owner lost it and never replaced it.
So, I am with the program now...once I get another dip stick and drain the oil. Not much telling what is in there. This might explain why it runs a little rough.
Thanks all.

Yeah, I would call around ASAP and get 1. Who knows what might fall in the hole and create even more problems.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

have a look at this website and get service manuals for free;www.brunswickmarineemea.com
look at downloads and look for your relevant manual.mariner and mercruiser there too!

paidfor

Cadet

I got the dip stick installed and drained/replaced the oil and filter. Have not taken it out yet but planning to Sat. am.
Hey DingDongs,,,thanks for the link to free operators instructions. I printed them just now.