2007 E-Tec 40 HP

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice
Bought it last Tuesday and have been running it for a few days.

What I noticed is a miss or surge at half throttel? You feel it more then hear it, in fact the sound of the motor don't change. At WOT it's not there, runs smooth?

2 friends of mine have 50hp and they say they have the same issue.

I would like to put an hour meter on the motor is that possible? What type if possible.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 E-Tec 40 HP

The hour meter has nothing to do with the engine. An hour meter is just a clock. It operates from 12 volts only when the key is in the RUN posltion. No connection is required at the engine.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The E-TEC inline motors are sensitive to exhaust backpressure. If it is mounted high on a light boat, you can get running condition that is not a miss, but a different sound and feel. On a tunnel hull or a pontoon boat the areated water flow can make a difference in drivability too.

Propping the motor for a different rpm can help in some situations. There is a throttle adjustment that a dealer can do using the laptop that may help also.

Also the boat's fuel system should be checked per the factory procedure using a vacuum meter and clear line, as well as the enignes fuel pump pressure.

If everything checks out, ask the dealer to call the factory hotline and talk to the techs there who may have some addtional suggestions to help you.

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

All three are mounted on light boats. However none are mounthed high or the transom's were not raised. On mine I have a 20" transom and the motor shaft is 20".

My motor has less then 3 hours on it and just wondering if anyone had heard of this.

I will be visiting the dealer PDQ due to the motor throtteling back due to no oil, happened twice. Happened once and got back to my camp, cleaned a deer and was headed to the dealer and it ran fine, no alarm. The next day after a short run, started it up and increasing throttel I got the no oil alarm again.

Thanks for your in put.
Randy

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

are you using XD-50 oil in temps below 40°F? If so, that could be your problem as the factory recommends the synthetic XD-100 oil in cold temperatures.

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I am using the XD-50. Temps at the time were in that area.

I think you may be on to something.

Thanks again.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

From what I have read here it seems these are fairly
common problems that have been pretty well successfully addressed.
I think when you consider the Etec is newly developed technology its introduction has been almost trouble free.
especially when you think about the failure and and then the amazing resurection of the Evinrude by BRP.
This indicates a really well developed product and well instructed technical support.
I'm sure there are some bad motors out there but they are the exception.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

steelespike said:
I think when you consider the Etec is newly developed technology its introduction has been almost trouble free.

Actually the E-TEC is in it's 4th year of production, not exactly considered new anymore..

To put things into perspective, big EFI 4-strokes are only in their 6 year.

Sublime63

Cadet

I have a new 50 E-TEC tiller and I noticed the same thing week before last for the first time. The only thing different that day was that the water was GLASS smooth. I don't know if that would have made the difference or not. Maybe I just don't notice it in choppier water. BTW the motor is on a Beavertail Skiff and mounted high on a manual jack plate.

Sublime63

Cadet

randy_252 said:
.................I would like to put an hour meter on the motor is that possible? What type if possible.

Thanks

You didn't say if it was a tiller or what, but I have a Tiny Tach on mine. Shows rpms when running and hours when not. The only thing is it displays the hours when the boat is not running and there is no way to turn it off. The battery is supposed to last 5 years. Of course your dealer can always tell you how many hours are on the motor.