2006 Yamaha F50 Fuel Problems?

Len Dog

Cadet
I have a 2006 Yamaha F50 fuel injected. When you run down the lake at high speed the engine will slow down, sputter and quit. I pump up the primer bulb and hit the key and it is good for another 1/4 mile, and so on. I have a inline filter between the fuel tank and the engine, the filter is a yamaha spin on fuel filter (similar looking to a oil filter) I put it on two years ago and there has been no problems up until now. The primer bulb is on the outlet side of the filter between the filter and the engine. Here is what I have tried
  • installed a new primer bulb ( the flow arrow is in the right direction)
  • installed a new spin on fuel filter
  • installed a new fuel line bypassing the filter from the tank outlett directly to the engine (brand new)
  • removed the filter in the fuel line on the engine and cleaned it out.

Still no luck? Maybee fuel pump? any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Re: 2006 Yamaha F50 Fuel Problems?

Possibly fuel pump or other fuel restriction. On the spin on fuel filter did you make sure that when you took the old filter off that the old fuel filter's gasket/oring came off as well...double gasketed?

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

That large in line filter should be replaced every year. Remove it and drain it to glass container to see if there is lots of dirt in it.

Len Dog

Cadet

Thanks everyone!

It was a restricted fuel supply. I found out that between the fuel pump and the injectors there was another kind of a filter called a strainer. I couldn't even get air to blow through it. I replaced it and it is running fine now!

This is a very helpfull forum! Thanks again!