2006 Volvo Penta GLP-E sucking water back through exhaust

I wanted to start this thread because I have read things that talk about exhaust pressure. I have ran into an issue where I have replaced intake/exhaust manifold last year because it was cracked on the outside. I would notice a misfire if I snapped the throttle and back to idle on the hose or in the water Water droplets would show up on the 4th rear cylinder. So I replaced the exhaust elbow thinking it was leaking into the exhaust with no change. My exhaust pipe does not have flapper. If bring it to around 2300 rpms the engine will eventually burn out the water and run perfect. If I bring it back to idle slowly it will not misfire and run perfect at idle. Just really weird to me and the exhaust pressure would make sense if you are snapping the throttle. My question, they do make 3 inch extensions to raise the elbow up. Would this be the route to take? Also was weird when I took the original restrictor plate out it has 2 holes drilled into it whereas stock does not.

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2875.png
    IMG_2875.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
So I am going to assume that this is not a very common problem and from what I have read around the internet, it’s not good to bring it back to idle fast. Should be bringing it back to idle smoothly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check your boat weight on a scale. Measure the SWL to elbow dimension and check your base timing. Also check your elbow for cracks

Yes, they make 3" risers. However measure your SWL to elbow dimension first. If your boat is overloaded, you can also suffer reversion

Check your boat weight on a scale. Measure the SWL to elbow dimension and check your base timing. Also check your elbow for cracks

Yes, they make 3" risers. However measure your SWL to elbow dimension first. If your boat is overloaded, you can also suffer reversion
This is when I am running on the hose.