2006 Larson LXI 210 depth gauge

WI_boater

Cadet
Where’s the transducer for these boats? It’s not on the exterior anywhere unless somehow it’s built into the lower unit. I need to check it since it’s not reading. Any help would be great.

WesNewell

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe you have a thru hull transducer. Usually at the very back of the boat epoxied to the hull bottom.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

A through hull transducer, as Wes said, is usually epoxied inside the hull in the in the most accessible location - Under the oil pan. I mean unaccessible. :facepalm:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 trypes of thru hull ducers: One is where the ducer is inserted in a hole punched in the hull, contacting outside water, clearly visible if looking at the hull from underneath. The other is a (design intended) transom mounted ducer that has been installed inboard for safety and better WOT bottom detection.

Most of my boats have been with the latter installation. I ensure that I have a solid hull in the location, not something with balsa filler or foam flotation...solid glass or aluminum. Second the location is near the center of the boat and as close to the transom as possible. If a deep V, one could make a level platform with epoxy such that the beam shoots vertical rather than shooting off the side at the angle of the hull.....no biggie in shallow water but could matter in deep water....basically a moot point since in deep water you aren't in danger of running aground.

Attachment is via epoxy with as few bubbles as possible. You are shooting/receiving sound waves and solid objects transmit sound the best.