2006 four winns engine overheating!

tonsterz3

Cadet
My engine is overheating! I replaced the impeller which was damaged and I am trying to find the location of the thermostat. I have a 2006 four winns i/o volvo penta engine. I think this may be part of the problem. How difficult is it to do this job yourself? I did the impeller with no problems. Anything else I should check for?

Also, after I replaced the impeller I hooked up the hose and started the engine and the temperature slowly rose. Do I need to have this boat on the open water or should the water line keep the temperature down?

Thanks for any help!

Tony

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2006 four winns engine overheating!

My engine is overheating! I replaced the impeller which was damaged and I am trying to find the location of the thermostat. I have a 2006 four winns i/o volvo penta engine. I think this may be part of the problem. How difficult is it to do this job yourself? I did the impeller with no problems. Anything else I should check for?

Also, after I replaced the impeller I hooked up the hose and started the engine and the temperature slowly rose. Do I need to have this boat on the open water or should the water line keep the temperature down?

Thanks for any help!

Tony

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard, Tony,... Just what motor is in yer 4 winns,..??

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did your old impeller have missing bits and pieces?? If so, you will need to backflush (instructions in the service manual), remove the thermostat housing and check there until you have it back together like humpty dumpty. I'd start with this and go from here.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let us know what engine it is (serial number or full model number) and we can get you a picture showing where the thermostat is. Generally, it is located at the top front of the engine and has several hoses attached to it.

You do not need to keep the boat in the water, the hose should be able to maintain normal operating temperature. Like bnicov said, pull that thermostat housing and look for impeller pieces that may have broken off, traveled upstream, and clogged up passages in the thermostat housing.

tonsterz3

Cadet

There was one evident chunk that was missing.

tonsterz3

Cadet

This boat is a 2006 four winns. Volvo penta 3.0 i/o motor 135 hp. Any photos would be helpful. Thanks.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Betcha that chunk is plugging up something. Very important to find all bits and pieces. Backflush the motor and hopefully it'll come out easily.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's several different versions of the 3.0 which is why the serial number or full model number would be nice, but this should help enough to get you started.

Thermostat housing is the red arrow. Top front of engine. By replacing the impeller, you know that the purple arrow is the raw water pump. During an overheat if the impeller is damaged and chunks go missing, they travel up the inlet line (blue arrow) into the thermostat housing and can clog up passages. You need to pull off the thermostat housing and try to find the missing pieces.

3.0Thermo.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have enough water flow from your hose, it will slowly overheat. If you aren't sure, put it in the water and start it. Could also be a faulty thermostat.

Tstat 3.0.jpg

tonsterz3

Cadet

I noticed there is no water leaving the impeller location. Supply in is good. Shouldn't there be a constant flow of water to the engine? Or only when it gets hot?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Should be a constant flow in and out of the pump. The thermostat controls how much of that water goes to the block (vs. out the manifolds and exhaust instead) depending on the temperature.