2006 F40 Tiller (Did not want to start)

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was at the launch today and did not leave the dock for about an hour until she finally fired up, I checked to see if it was fuel/battery issues but that was good, I turned the key and the starter turned the flywheel about a quarter turn but did not want to fire up. Any troubleshoot tips that I can check out to find my problem is gladly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2006 F40 Tiller (Did not want to start)

A starter that fails to spin the engine is due to 1) battery not fully charged, 2) bad battery cable connections, 3) bad battery cable connections, 4) bad battery cable connections, 5) bad solenoid or 6) bad starter, in that order of probability. You said you checked for fuel and battery issues. How did you do that? Battery cable connections are solved by disconnecting, cleaning (as in make them shiny clean) and firmly reconnect. That means both ends of the cables -- not just the battery end. Charge the battery. When fully charged, put a voltmeter on the battery and turn the key to start. If the voltage drops below 10.5 volts have the battery load tested. It is likely headed for battery heaven. With a "kinown good battery" and "known good" cables, the next step is to isolate the solenoid. Use jumper cables and go directly to the starter. If the starter spins, you have a bad solenoid. Yes -- the ignition switch which activates the solenoid may be the issue but it is very low on the list. That can be eliminated by using a short piece of wire and jumping from the large battery cable to the small terminal (the one from the ignition switch). If that fails to spin the starter, replace the solenoid.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Silver, I did not clean the battery connections but did use another battery with no luck. After trying for an hour voila she fired right up. I charge both battery's a couple days ago, But I will charge and test them So I can rule the battery issue out.

Len Dog

Cadet

I agree With Silvertip. I run about a dozen 50 hp Yamaha four strokes and I have had the same problem a couple of times. Both times it ended up being cable problems, either clean your cable connections not just on the battery end but on the starter as well, also if that doesn't work and if you have access to another set of cables to try try that before you go to the starter.

Good Luck!

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep it was a bad battery connection,guys how comes it starts after the turning the key twice?