2006 DP-SM with Clicking Under Load

rjbergen

Cadet
We have a 2006 Chaparral Signature 330 with dual 5.7 GXi-F engines and DP-SM drives. For the past two summers, our port drive has had a light click/tick noise only under load while turned. There’s no noise in neutral while turning to port or starboard. Once in idle, there’s no noise while the wheel is straight. Once I turn the wheel over either way, the light click/tick shows up.

I asked the shop we use, Blue Water Marine (Volvo certified and regarded as one of the better shops in Metro Detroit), to look at it last year when they pulled the drives and they said the gimbal bearing (replaced in 2019 along with bellows) and u-joint (original to 2006) were fine. However, I know this wasn’t done under load, so my issue may not have shown up when manipulating parts by hand.

I’m going to be calling the shop again this week for our annual drive service and new bellows (been used 5 seasons now). Should I ask them to just replace the port u-joint?

Where else would a tick/click show up?

The starboard drive was torn down, new prop shaft and new seals installed in 2019. The port drive had new seals installed in 2021 or 2022, I’d have to double check records.

alldodge

Staff member
Blue Water Marine (Volvo certified
I believe it's the U joints
Being certified just explain symptoms to them and they will probably come to the same

Bondo

Staff member
I believe it's the U joints
Being certified just explain symptoms to them and they will probably come to the same
Ayuh,... I suspect the same,.... I've seen many times where the u-joints feel good, 'n look good, til they're taken apart, where the cross-shafts will have little tiny ridges forming on them,....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,... I suspect the same,.... I've seen many times where the u-joints feel good, 'n look good, til they're taken apart, where the cross-shafts will have little tiny ridges forming on them,....
Exactly I just went through this on my alpha gen 2 u joints felt smooth by hand when I took them out two caps on each had rough spots on the cross and cap. I had felt a vibration when trimming in under load.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Could be the UJ...but what is holding me back from suggesting as much with confidence, might be the report of a "light click" or "ticking" sound. I am not sure most would use those words to describe the well known UJ sound ? possibly ?
I might also throw in that although a worn UJ noise is certainly more prominent in gear and under load...it just might also be evident to the ear in neutral too of course.
More commonly to blame for a noise (similar but not identical...usually a heavier rattle, growl and vibration) when steering and only when in gear, would be the gimble bearing. Wonder if it was knocked into place all the way home and seating properly ?
Lastly from me is what came to mind just whilst writing the above...It isn't too common a thing, but I have at least once heard similar to your description, from the steering system itself. Caused by the steering arm actuator and/or the steering bushes being worn. Sometimes in the extreme, the bushes worn bad enough, can cause other issues as a result. Can give the actuator a hard job of trying to stay where it should be.
All of the above is assuming that the noise is definitely localised to the outdrive..or aft of the engine at least. Meaning it isn't the power steering pump, pulley or belt. These can be under more load when underway in gear perhaps.
That will do from me...best of luck