2006 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke Oil ???

ricky_18

Cadet
I have a 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke that I would like to do an oil change on... My problem is i have heard different opinions from several people. I will run the boat till freeze up (Walleye Fishing). Some say run any brand 10W30 cause of the cold temperature while others say run Mercuy 25W40 synthetic blend but wonder if thats too thick for cold temperatures. I am not sure and looking for the right oil as I don't want to wreck any bearings as well as the motor is under warranty still as i bought it new this passed fall.

thanks in advance

machicj

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2006 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke Oil ???

i have a 115 4 stroke and i run 25w 40 merc. oil. if i were you, i'd just call them and ask. they have always answered any of my questions. Merc Marine 920-929-5040. good luck

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke that I would like to do an oil change on... My problem is i have heard different opinions from several people. I will run the boat till freeze up (Walleye Fishing). Some say run any brand 10W30 cause of the cold temperature while others say run Mercuy 25W40 synthetic blend but wonder if thats too thick for cold temperatures. I am not sure and looking for the right oil as I don't want to wreck any bearings as well as the motor is under warranty still as i bought it new this passed fall.

thanks in advance

I would call too, make note of the time and date and who you talked too(just in case?)
Also because of warranty, I would be sure to run the Merc oil and nothing else at this point in time.
Lots of people run their boats late in the year without any worries so don't be afraid too, just make sure you let it warm up good.
If your looking for someone to share your Walleye with, I'm your man ;) Enjoy............Irv964

ricky_18

Cadet

I would call too, make note of the time and date and who you talked too(just in case?)
Also because of warranty, I would be sure to run the Merc oil and nothing else at this point in time.
Lots of people run their boats late in the year without any worries so don't be afraid too, just make sure you let it warm up good.
If your looking for someone to share your Walleye with, I'm your man ;) Enjoy............Irv964

thanks guy for both replies...

i called yesterday and what i was told was this... if running the motor in temps below 40 degress to run 10w30 and if mainly over 40 degress than 25w40... i also asked about what oil to use and was told of course being a mercury employee on the phone he can't recommend anything other than quicksilver and mercury. so i told him i work at Napa and that i wanted to run Kendell oil and if i chose to what are the chances of Mercury knowing there oil was not used in the motor and his response was slim to none. he just really strongly recommend using the Mercury filter... i never thought of asking for his name but i know the time i called... anyways i also spoke to my dealer i bought it from and he straight up told me that if i took it to him to have the oil change done he would use 10w30 in it so that kinda tells me its fine as he would be dealing with my warranty...

and Irv, Walleye eh!? you must fishing for them down here in the Bay Of Quinte... this is the time when the fishing here is at its best!!

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guy for both replies...

and Irv, Walleye eh!? you must fishing for them down here in the Bay Of Quinte... this is the time when the fishing here is at its best!!

I hear you there Ricky! It has always been a great spot to fish for Walleye in the fall, the spring is also a great time, usually you can walk from boat to boat it is that busy sometimes!
I use to fish East Lake near the SandBanks quite often, it wasn't too bad but nothing like the bay!
Not that you will need it down there, but good luck.............Irv964