2005 yamaha making oil, low rpms

woowoowoo

Cadet
We bought a 2005 mckee craft with a 2005 Yamaha 150 4-stroke with 159 hours on it. The first 89 hours were at 1000 rpms. Brought the boat to our Tech about it making oil. $563 dollars later, ran ring free through it and seems to have fixed the making oil problem. But now the engine stalls going from neutral to 1000 rpms and will NOT get over 3800 - 4200 rpms. We are running a 4 blade prop on it.( 14X 19).
When we first bought the boat, it ran fine. 61 mph at 5k rpm.
Any thoughts?:confused:

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 yamaha making oil, low rpms

$563 to run some ring free through the motor?

What else was done? The engine ran well before the tech worked on it?

What did they tech say about the new problem?
I would go over the fuel supply/filters/VST. Do you have a 10 micron filter in the system?

BB

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

myself I would do a leakdown test, then a full tuneup to include the VST filter and injector cleaning.
obnce I made sure the engine was making the correct power I would fix the over propped problem or the making oil will come back.
5000 RPM at wot is over propped.
that motor needs to be able to turn 5700-6100 at normal load and wot.
but I also would like to know what was done for 563 dollars.
when you look on the techs wall do you see certifications for fuel systems,electrical systems,four stroke and advanced 4 stroke systems?
if not please find a trained tech.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a link from The Hull Truth, another forum. Lots of posts about Yamaha's making oil. Several reasons why. Agree that you are overpropped. Read these and search other posts for "making oil" and see what everyone else is doing about it. $563 is a little steep for a ringfree treatment...:confused:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/...&start=1&highlight=making+oil&highlightmode=1

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just want to throw this out there. Is there any chance you have done some heavy towing since you got the boat? Reason I asked is that I got very POed with my low time F-115 when all the time I am certain my serious towing episodes is what caused my poor performance. Were situations that you would just sooner forget, which I did, only later realising that the lugging caused the problem. YAMAHA RING FREE and new plugs fixed my problem fortunately. I no longer tow, only offer to take people to land, let the boat sit at anchor or even drift. Just get the people out of harms way.
Sure does sound like you are over propped, made oil with a 13 x 19, dropped to a 13x15, problem solved. regards FRED

woowoowoo

Cadet
Re: 2005 Yamaha making oil, low rpms

Re: 2005 Yamaha making oil, low rpms

Thanks everyone for there response about the Yamaha problem.
What was done for $573: 1. Ring free treatment, 2. New spark plugs, 3. Oil change... Oh and 3.5 hours of labor. A bit too much. He still has no Idea what is causing the lack of power. A fuel pressure gage was put on to check the fuel going to the motor and that check out fine. I do plan on changing the prop. Any Idea's what could be causing a lack of rpm's
Thanks
WOOWOOWOO

Bamboo

Seaman

If that is all that the dealer did, then 500+ bones is very high. Find yourself a good Yamaha 5 Star Warranty Service Center (I'm hoping the place you went to wasn't a certified 5 star service center!). They should be able to tell you why you are not reaching power.

You are certainly over propped. Should be able to hit the 5.6k - 6.1k range at WOT as has been stated.

Lots of folks run the F-150 on the THT board, and it's a good source of shared info. Search and pour over the threads about the F-150 and you may find someone with a similar problem. I've had a F-150 now for a couple years, and have nothing but respect for that motor. It has been the most reliable powerplant I ever had on a boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

5 star certified means at least one tech did a 20 min video course.
like I said, look for at a minimum,fuel systems certified,electrical systems certified four stroke systems certified and advanced four stroke certified.
even better if they employ a master tech.
all can pretty much be found on the dealer locator page from Yamaha motors.
I am not knocking 5 star, just its very very misleading.
next I really doubt you have a yamaha problem.
most likly a fuel or lack of proper maint issue.
why post on the THT board when a yamaha master tech occasionally posts on this board.
but with the information you have given I have said about all I can.

woowoowoo

Cadet

Sorry about the last message, it seems that my computer is acting up as well.. Any way, after the last cleaning of the VST tank, they found nothing. Now he seems to think that #3 cylinder is not firing as it should. This guy has our boat and has the best name in town. He has checked the timing, spark plugs, fuel system( separate tank he used) a different prop, PLEASE do you have any suggestion that I can give to this mechanic. Oh, before we took the boat down there, it was making oil. He put ring free in there and now we have this problem. Also, the problem when we are in neutral and slowly put it in gear and power up, the engine just stalls. What do you think?
Thanks
Robert

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

quit the slow gear shift unless you wish to post about broken/worn shift clutch and fwd gear damage.
ALL shifting should be done in a quick firm action.
what we need are numbers.
here is a list of numbers we want.
TPS voltage at idle and 1500 RPM.
fuel rail pressue at idle and 1500 and WOT.
was the throttle linkage set up corrctly using the tech-mate vacum mate tool or an equivalent mano-meter.
this is a 700 dollar tool that not all shops actually have.
some techs seem to think it can be done by ear.
what are the leakdown % numbers?
a down load of what the ECU is seeing may be helpful to see what the intake air temp,air pressure and cooling system temps are looking like.
as far as the stall it can be most anything.
my personal 07 F150 will occasionally do it when trying to bump from 600 to 900 rpm very slowly.
if I find a cure Ill post it.
try a spin up with the YB1626 test wheel.
while there are not set specs from yamaha you should see something in the 5000 RPM range.
but once your sure the engine is making power you need to prop it so it can turn 5700-6100 at WOT with a normal load.
using said test wheel bring it up to about 2500 RPM,unclip and reclip the injectors one at a time,note the RPM drop of each cylinder.
if one is different from the rest it will narrow it down to a particular cylinder.
remember,injector filters can clog as well as VST filters.

angler53

Seaman

my personal 07 F150 will occasionally do it when trying to bump from 600 to 900 rpm very slowly.
if I find a cure Ill post it.

Rod,
I read somewhere that too long of a fuel line between the motor and primer bulb causes this. You think there is anything to that? I've been waiting for the opportunity to bring this up with you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

to long a fuel line?
seriously doubt it.
maybe for a running issue but not this issue and its just to simple to check and its done at the PDI, your PDI was done correctly right?
while I guess its possible to eventually get so much line that the pump coukld not pump fuel however that would show up at the engine PDI as excessive fuel system vacum.
the VST on that engine holds enough fuel for several minutes of low speed running with the fuel line dissconected.
if you suspect a fuel restriction or even excessive line lenthg you can T in an inexpensive vacum guage and simply watch it at all RPM's.
anything over 4"Hg indicates a restriction and usually anything less than 1" Hg indicates an air leak.

angler53

Seaman

to long a fuel line?
seriously doubt it.
maybe for a running issue but not this issue and its just to simple to check and its done at the PDI, your PDI was done correctly right?
while I guess its possible to eventually get so much line that the pump coukld not pump fuel however that would show up at the engine PDI as excessive fuel system vacum.
the VST on that engine holds enough fuel for several minutes of low speed running with the fuel line dissconected.
if you suspect a fuel restriction or even excessive line lenthg you can T in an inexpensive vacum guage and simply watch it at all RPM's.
anything over 4"Hg indicates a restriction and usually anything less than 1" Hg indicates an air leak.

Dude, you're speaking Japanese with all that, to me.
I'm a simple person. I understand completely when they say money makes an airplane fly, not thrust and lift. To me, my F150 operates on the same principal. I couldn't tell you what a PDI is if it were shoved up my nose, much less if it were done right. :D

woowoowoo

Cadet

Thanks for the reply,
I think they didn't have that tool that you mentioned but rather used the Luke Skywalker Jet-Eye force and closed there eyes. I will get the said information on Tuesday and email it to you. He did say that #3 was in question and will look into it.