2005 Merc 4.3 won't idle

soler

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one, TKS (lucky me :( ) won't idle. I can start it and run the throttle to keep it running, but it won't idle. And if I get the RPMs up to 2,000 (not in gear) I have to keep them there, or it revs back down and dies. I have to keep jockeying the throttle to keep it running. After it's warm it will run, sort of, but not a smooth idle.

I let it sit one year without much use, and I think it's bad gas (or was, now the carb is gummed up). So, I'm rebuilding carb. Do I need anything more than gaskets and jet kit? I was told maybe an accelator pump? I don't know about this, 'cause when I get it out on the water and run it, it will go. It just doesn't idle AT ALL when cold, and will barely idle when warm.

Thanks.

SOLER

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2005 Merc 4.3 won't idle

Ayuh,... Have you Tuned it Up,..?? Changed the Fuel Filters,..?? Inspected their contents,..??
Any kinda Summerization,..??

soler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2005 Merc 4.3 won't idle

It runs! Rebuilt the carb, and it idles like a champ.

Yes, I had checked all the other stuff ...plugs, wires, dist., etc. Just a quick tearing it apart, spraying carb cleaner in all the little places, putting it back together and re-installing is all it took. I think I know what the problem was. There are three metering jets in the bowl. There are two sizes, and the smaller one, the main idle jet, seemed to be clogged. I held it up to light and couldn't see thru it very well. Ran a small electrical wire in there, and then was able to see thru it when held up to light.

I kind of figgered this is what was needed. But, the last time I rebuilt a carb was 15 years ago, and was confused when the service/parts person who sold me the gaskets said I probably needed the accelerator pump. Didn't sound right, so that's why I was asking y'all.

Anyways, that's all I needed. Maybe this will help someone else? :)

I couldn't find what I was looking for when I did a search, that's why I posted here.

SOLER