2005 Crownline 270 CR Underpowered?

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's a one-owner private sale 2002 Crownline 270 CR available locally. It's very well equipped, including a 7.3KW generator. The problem I see is the powerplant is a Merc 350MPI driving a Bravo III. That seems to me to be significantly underpowered. Most I've seen for sale have bigger engines. I've read some owner reviews and one in particular said he couldn't get his boat with that engine to plane loaded with six people. Anybody have some experience with a boat that big with that powerplant? Anybody have experience with that boat model in particular? Besides the engine, any other likes or dislikes?

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother has a 202 crownline.very good boat for my taste.it has a 4.3 volvo penta 200hp with duoprop.he has no problem to plane with 5 people.the boat is out of the water in 3 seconds and the fuel consumption is very low average 15 litres on hour.

Maclin

Admiral
Depends on what you will try to do with it, but I think your initial assessment of "seems to me to be significantly underpowered" is valid. No personal experience, but boats that size with that many add ons like a big generator are usually twins. I would have to come down on the underpowered side if asked. The 350MAG B3 is a good package, just not all by itself for this large of a cruiser.

roffey

Commander
if I recall the 350 is 260 hp. I had a 26 foot with a 350 and it was a bit slow, but these types of boats are not meant for speed.

Maclin

Admiral
The 350MAG is 300+hp, but not much more torque in the lower RPM band. I'm thinkn' a boat that size needs the punch on takeoff and keeping on plane for lower speed cruising.

roffey

Commander
ok, mine was a alpha 1with a 19 inch prop and 1984, lol. To be honest it was a dog.

thumpar

Admiral
Those are not really meant for trying to do top speed runs. My 202 has the 5.7l EFI. I wouldn't mind a bigger engine even at that size. If you just want to cruise it will be fine, especially with the B3. It will get you out of the hole better.

roffey

Commander
Those are not really meant for trying to do top speed runs. My 202 has the 5.7l EFI. I wouldn't mind a bigger engine even at that size. If you just want to cruise it will be fine, especially with the B3. It will get you out of the hole better.

getting completely off topic, my current boat is a 4.3 and will do mid 50s on the GPS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing boats just saying what new technology will do with less power. Mind you one boat was 26 feet and the new one is 20.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Part of my concern is experience with my 2002 Four Winns 214 deckboat. It's powered by a V-P 5.0GXiB rated 270HP that drives a duoprop similar to the B3. At light weights, it really has some get-up-and-go, but it is pretty sluggish with a load of six adults or more until the engine can get above 3,000rpm. I can just imagine what the performance would be on a boat that weighs at least 50% more but only has a little more than 10% extra HP. I'm not looking for the Crownline to pull a bunch of skiers, but I would like it to be able to get on plane in a reasonable time.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't think planing would be much as an issue. Crownlines have a low deadrise. It just won't be a speed boat.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like with a 27' you'd want a big block. My '97 250 Sundancer has a SB EFI/B3 which is plenty of power for that boat but the 270 Sundancers of the same vintage all have BB's. Especially if it has a gen-set, that's a lot of weight in the stern. I think I'd want a BB/B3 for something that big and heavy.