2005 5.0 gxi-b belt jumped and wiped out,

2004 searay

Seaman Apprentice
as the title says, the belt jumped inwrad towards the engine and tore 1 rib off it. i read about someone who hadthe bracket for the alternator/p.s pump fatigured and bent but this engine already has the cast aluminum bracket. i replaced this belt last spring(2023) due to squeeling, replacedwith a v/p belt. also replaced both idler and tension pulleys. the crank pulley was replaced with the pump about 3 years ago and is still shiney and new looking. the p/s puley was replaced 3 years ago when the engine was pulled out to repair an oil leak, the pulley was very crusty. the alternator was replaced 4 years ago. the only original pulley on the engine was the circulator pump pulley which i just purchased to install with another new v/p belt. i need to resolve this issue before it occurs again and i am not sure what direction to head to now.

1720782508221.png
1720782595630.png

kenny nunez

Captain
To me it appears that 1 of the pulleys are further forward than the rest which is eating up the rib closest to the engine. If you have a straight edge try to see if one is not lining up.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's a problem with your water pump pulley, It's out of alignment. I'll bet the pater pump has a broken shaft

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
i need to resolve this issue before it occurs again and i am not sure what direction to head to now.
There are a lot of various posts on the issue of these belts not behaving as expected with good input as to how to evaluate and fix. A more recent one is at this link although the OP has not responded as to their ultimate fix. Read thru that post as there are good tips on troubleshooting from alignment to runout.

And as CptBill mentions the belt placement on the circulator pump looks to be off. See pic below for where the belt normally rides.

And as Kenny Nunez points out the backside of the belt is excessively worn out. See high in the pic below.

Here is a suggestion: pull the belt off. Inspect the path of the belt looking for a shinny spot on the engine, brackets, etc. This is where the belt is rubbing on that back edge. Its also possible that there is not a shiny spot somewhere on the engine because the edge is wearing on one of the pulleys. So, look to those as well. While the belt is off, turn each of the pulleys by hand as well as ‘shake them around’ looking for excessive play. And then check for runout and alignment. Again, see the post at the link for more info on this.

Also, it may be possible to help narrow down the issue by taking and posting a video of the engine running at idle.

Your issue is 100% fixable, so keep investigating and posting :)

Belt Issue.png

2004 searay

Seaman Apprentice
There's a problem with your water pump pulley, It's out of alignment. I'll bet the pater pump has a broken shaft
the waterpump(circulator pump) pulley is twice as wide as the others, the belt sat flush on the pulley and did not hang over so what you see as out of alignment i believe is just the extra wide surface.
regardless i hae a new pulley to install. i will check the pump for loosener though

2004 searay

Seaman Apprentice
if you look at the video, that was included in the link that esgwheel posted, the belt side the same distance back.
i di order a dayco belt alignment laser so i hope to get some answers there.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
the waterpump(circulator pump) pulley is twice as wide as the others, the belt sat flush on the pulley and did not hang over so what you see as out of alignment i believe is just the extra wide surface.
While agree its wider, I just noticed that the belt is not riding on the idler pully correctly. See gap highlighted in the pic below. Since this also corresponds with the Circ. Pump pulley riding incorrectly (IMO), there is something that is driving the belt into this misalignment. A bent pulley or shaft would cause runout and thus more likely drive the belt back and forth (front and back) causing wear on both edges. In this case something is ‘cocked’ driving the belt in only one direction which seems to be in line with your original thought about the bracket.

Your engine was pulled and the P/S pulley replaced > it may be possible the P/S is not mounted correctly or is bent somehow. Also, the tensioner has a pin on the backside that may not be properly seated > this will cause the pulley to be cocked. And even the bracket mounting could have debris behind it causing it to be cocked. If evaluating all the mounting points for the items that have them does not reveal the issue, then back to that straight edge mentioned to see if any of the pulleys are not perpendicular to the crankshaft. And if that does not show it, get one of those laser alignment tools, like this link.

Good luck and post how it goes > we all learn from your ultimate solution.

Belt Issue2.png

cyclops222

Ensign
Maybe do a checkout out how correctly each pulley and it's bracket are installed. Do 1 at a time. Clean bracket and surfaces. Check each bearing & pulley for wobble. Parts might not even be correct. Happens. I use a 3' Straight Edge when doing a job like this. Helps find bad parts quickly.

2004 searay

Seaman Apprentice
i got thelaser tool and in order to get the p/s puley to line up with the others, i had to crasnk the pulley onto the shaft so much that it nearly rubs against the bracket. it looks like it may lign up now but reall iffy;. the dam tensioner broke when trying to reinstall the belt. brand new v/p . GARBAGE

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
VP just buys Gates and Dayco tensioners. They don't make them

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking back to my comment in post #7 about the PS pump bracket being misaligned somehow. All indications seem to be pointing to that. Were you able to validate its proper mounting?

And if the PS pump pulley was too far forward, it would account for the aft side of the belt being chewed up but not the aspect of it riding too far aft as well. In my mind something is still amiss. As I think thru the dynamics and take it to extremes, if the PS pulley was cocked such that the outside was further aft (which is where the belt rides) this would account for both the aft edge being worn and the belt riding more aft than it should. And, I am reaching here, it may also account for the alignment tool telling you to move the pulley aft. In other words, the laser is shining more on the inside vs the outside of the pulley causing the picture to be ‘pulley need to go aft’ depending on the laser point of origin. See mockup.

So back to the straight edge on the pulleys to see if they are indeed perpendicular to the crankshaft centerline.

And roger the frustration. Been there plenty of times. But keep at it, this can and will be fixed.

(some issue with the site attacheing pics)

kenny nunez

Captain
If there are 2 brackets using the same mounting bolt maybe the pump bracket goes under instead of over.