2005 4.3L V-6 - Water Dripping from bottom of port side manifold

scottjima

Cadet
2005 Tahoe 4.3L V-6 190HP<br /><br />I started up the boat today and ran it for about 30 minutes on the muffs. The engine ran good, but I did notice water dripping from under the port side exhaust manifold. Specificially, it seems to be leaking from manifold around where the hose connection screws in. There is a blue plasitc drain plug coming out of the bottom, but it seems to be wet above that.<br /><br />We did hit 9 degrees, so it got plenty cold enough to freeze...<br /><br />Any ideas? What should I have done differently? Known issues on these engines?<br /><br /><br />I winterized the boat last fall before hitting freezing temps. I followed the procedure below.<br />1. Pulled all blue plastic drain plugs from engine and exhaust manifolds. I would say a gallon or so of water drained out.<br />2. Replaced plugs and backfilled from the water pump area w/ 100% Prestone Anti-Freeze. I wanted to be sure that even if I ddin't get all the water out there would be an antifreeze mixture in there.<br />3. Prior to draining the engine, I did fog it and it had treated fresh gas in it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2005 4.3L V-6 - Water Dripping from bottom of port side manifold

You probably just lost the O-ring. Or you have two on one and none on that one. Sometimes they stick in the fixture, sometimes they come out with the plug. It may have fallen into the bilge. I hope it's easy to reach under the motor. ;)

scottjima

Cadet

Actually, I just found the o-ring for that plug laying in the bottom of the bilge. I replaced it and it is running now. Will know more in a few minutes.<br /><br />I feel so much better. Really thought I screwed up big time.<br /><br />This is my first boat and first winterizing on it. I've worked on many cars, so it seemed like I could handle this...

DHPMARINE

Captain

I hope this turns out OK for you.<br />Be aware,if you used regular automotive antifreeze it is only good to about - 17 degrees. It has to be mixed with water to activate it to - 34degrees.<br /><br />DHP

scottjima

Cadet

Thanks for the support. The O-Ring was the problem. Really glad I fired it up before heading to the lake!<br /><br />I didn't know about the -17 for regular antifreeze. Either way, I am in Dallas and we will never see that. 9 was really really cold for us.<br /><br />Boat is at the shop now... Getting warranty items addressed.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by scottjima:<br /> Really glad I fired it up before heading to the lake!
Wait a couple months, and all the problems that occur when people just toss it back in the water with the plea's of "it ran fine when I put it away?"<br />Glad you did okay on your boat. 9 in Dallas huh...! COLD