2005 25 hp Merc OB Elec Start Problem

Bait Me

Cadet
I have a 2005 25 hp Mercury Outboard w/Electric and Pull Start. The Electric Starter doesn't want to work. I have replaced the Starter itself along with the Solenoid and finally tried a brand new battery. It's getting voltage but sometimes only gives me a "click", most of the time not even that.

Can anyone help? :redface::mad::confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 25 hp Merc OB Elec Start Problem

Why is it people tend to replace the most expensive part of a system rather than doing very free testing?. All you need is a piece 14 gauge wire to check a starting system. 1) make sure the battery is fully charged and that it is actually a good battery -- one that is capable of "holding a charge". 2) Using the piece of wire, touch one end to the terminal on the solenoid that has the POSITIVE battery cable connected to it. Touch the other end to the small terminal on the solenoid that has the wire from the igntion switch connected to it. If the starter now spins either the ignition switch is bad or the wiring between the switch and the solenoid is bad. If the starter does not spin and/or you don't get a click. Either the battery is dead, the battery cable connections are loose or corroded, or the solenoid itself is bad. 3) Connect one jumper cable between the NEGATIVE post on the battery and a solid ground on the engine block. Connect one end of the another jumper cable to the POSITIVE terminal on the battery. Now touch the other end of that cable to the larger terminal on the starter. If the starter spins you know the solenoid is bad. If the starter does not spin, the starter is bad. Since you have replaced the starter and solenoid, and assuming the battery is actually good, it boils down to the ignition switch, its wiring to the solenoid, or battery cable connections. Looking at them is not a test. Remove, clean, inspect and reconnect.