2004 Volvo Penta SX-M1 Outdrive Cracked Bellows.

lintmann

Cadet
Sorry if this is a noob question and I apologize if my terminology is off.

The bellows that keeps water away from the CV joint and gimble bearing cracked and allowed water in sometime this summer. I noticed this while winterizing it yesterday. White sludge was coming out of the tear from the water that had mixed with the grease.

Question, can I leave this repair until spring or does any water that got in have to be removed from this area before winter's freezing temps? I don't really have the time to deal with this now so if it can wait, thats what I'll do.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Do it now you don’t want the drive shaft to corrode to the gimble bearing making the drive nearly impossible to remove. A rule of thumb with I/Os that I have learned is putting off needed repairs is a fools errand. It ALWAYS comes back to make the repair more difficult & expensive. And yes you should be pulling the drive at the end of each season & inspecting that bellows, the gimble bearing & ujoints.
I have done this is salt water use for 21 years with no failures or major outdrive repairs. The boat is on a salt water mooring 6 months out of each year.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Question, can I leave this repair until spring or does any water that got in have to be removed from this area before winter's freezing temps? I don't really have the time to deal with this now so if it can wait, thats what I'll do.
you can wait...... it may only cost you a complete drive, and transom shield..... its up to you. price the drive and transom shield. then price the cost of a bellows and gimbal bearing.

if it was me, I would have that drive off and apart to salvage the input shaft, etc the moment it was discovered.

that oil that mixed with water came from inside the drive. and you most likely have water in the drive as well.

also, removing the complete drive, checking alignment, and checking the bellows is a every 50 hours or annual type of thing. that is part of the winterizing maintenance.

flashback

Captain
Yea what Lou said, at least get the drive off and pull the bearing. Buy new parts over winter and put it back together in the spring. And Danforth..he snuck in..

kenny nunez

Captain
You better take it apart right now. Just like SD posted. If the shaft, gimbal bearing and gimbal housing corrode together you will be spending some real $ to get it straightened out.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pull the drive and get the bellows off. You can fix it in the spring. If anything is rusted and needs replacement you can order the parts. Some can take awhile.

The Volvo Penta OXI and OceanX versions detect water in the bellows.

lintmann

Cadet
Thanks guys for all the advice and quick replies! Yesterday I loosened the six nuts that attach the drive and it started to slide off on its own so I don't think it will be too bad to remove. I never even thought of the shaft and gimbal bearing seizing so that was a good point to make.
I also suspected water might be in the drive so I checked at the drain and the oil was still nice and clear. I didn't check the level because the leg was up but I suppose oil might be going out without any water coming in.
Anyways, thanks again for your help guys.

lintmann

Cadet
Thanks again everyone for your tips and advice. The drive came off with no issues. I cleaned everything up and couldn't see any obvious corrosion. I also pumped grease into the gimbal bearing while turning it until clean grease came out so hopefully it was saved in time too. For now it's all wrapped up and put away for winter and I'll get to it next spring.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think you would be better off if you replaced the gimbal bearing & seal