2004 Merc hard to start

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2004 Mercury 2 stroke 115hp carbureted. Most of the time, it does not start on the first try. Often times, it will start, run for 3 to 5 seconds, and then stall out. It takes a couple tries to get her running. Additionally, after about 20 to 30 minutes of trolling, it will sputter intermittently. More often than not, it will stall out. It will start right back up, but suffers the same stall. If I run it hard for a minute, it runs smooth again and starts the cycle over. Could it be possible it's drinking too much oil? Is any of the aforementioned normal? Any ides appreciated. Thanks in advance.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2004 Merc hard to start

Have you check the spark plugs, are they fouled?<br />A sputter, in idle speeds, can alot of the times be attributed to one of the throttle shutters in the carb throats not being fully closed while the engine is in idle. Take off the air intake, and shift the engine into neutral. All the throttle shutters should be fully closed.<br /><br />Check the output of stator coils.<br />Are you getting spark on all cylinders?<br /><br />Unless your plugs are severely fouled, I doubt you have an over oiling issue. At idle, the oil injections runs about a 100:1 mix. I premix 50:1 and hence I am always running a 50:1 and it idles just fine. <br /><br />-andy

quilter

Seaman Apprentice

you have a motor that idles on the top 2 cylinders, it sounds like a lean condition, the 2 top carbs have a idle mixture screw. try enrichining the 2 carbs by turning the screws about a quarter turn to the left to enrich the mixture. no adjustment screws on bottom carbs.

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you as far as your feedback. The weather has been shotty this week and weekend, so I haven't been out. I will run it tomorrow and see if I can diagnose.<br /><br />Where is the screw to adjust the carb on the top two cyclinders?