2004 fx cruiser HO top speed 52mph

shane reid

Recruit
I have a 2004 waverunner fx cruiser ho 160 hp. The top speed i am getting is 52 mph. I am led to believe the top speed should be more like 65-70 mph. Seems like once i reach 3/4 throttle, the ski reaches top speed and do not accelerate the remainder of throttle. The propeller looks to be in good condition. I would like to know what the clearance between the wear ring to impeller should be as well. I may have to machine a new wear ring if the clearance is too great.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2004 fx cruiser HO top speed 52mph

Whoever lead you to believe that was wrong. Don't believe what you hear.

Sounds like it is running just fine. If your wear ring needs to be replaced it should be quite visible. Look for scrapes and grooves in it and visually check the clearance between the impeller and ring. Not like you could machine one yourself...the parts are failry cheep.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2004 fx cruiser HO top speed 52mph

I have a 2004 waverunner fx cruiser ho 160 hp. The top speed i am getting is 52 mph. I am led to believe the top speed should be more like 65-70 mph. Seems like once i reach 3/4 throttle, the ski reaches top speed and do not accelerate the remainder of throttle. The propeller looks to be in good condition. I would like to know what the clearance between the wear ring to impeller should be as well. I may have to machine a new wear ring if the clearance is too great.

Top speed should be 58-60 mph at 10000-10200 rpms. The speed-o-meters on these skis are notoriously inaccurate and may be off by 5+ mph. Check speed via GPS before you get worried.

Impeller clearance should be: .35-.45mm. You can get an aftermarket housing with a plastic wear ring which gives a really tight fit, then only have to replace the plastic part.......may be cheaper than other options if yours is off.