2004 f60tjrc yamaha 4 stroke general questions

Hoopie

Cadet
This is the first outboard I have owned, I just bought it a couple weeks ago, I am the second owner. I have had it out twice and this is what I have noticed.

1. When I first start it, it fires right up. Go to a spot and fish for 30 minutes. Hit the starter and it seems like it is harder to start. Should I have to pump the fuel bulb here again?

2. When the fuel bulb is pumped till hard how long should it stay that way?

3. I also have a portable fuel tank with a vented cap, should the vent be open of closed?

I also noticed that after it has been started more than once on the day a couple times when I would take off it seemed to be starving for fuel but it would pick up pretty quik and be fine. I just noticed the different sound in the engine, is this something I should check into?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2004 f60tjrc yamaha 4 stroke general questions

The vent should be open when running the motor, also when sitting out in the sunshine as the heating will cause a pressure build up in tank.
The bulb is on the suction side of the fuel pump and it is there to prime the motor, once started the fuel pump pulls the fuel through the bulb and line, so it will not stay hard but should not suck down flat as that would indicate a restriction.

Hoopie

Cadet

Thanks 99yam, It seems like it is working the way it should. I just have to get use to it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I have never owned a 2 stroke but do not think they should hesitate on acceleration. You may need to have the carbs checked out/cleaned

Hoopie

Cadet

It is a 4 stroke but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I will continue to monitor it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It is a 4 stroke but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I will continue to monitor it.

Sorry, I meant I never owned a 4 stroke not 2 stroke.
I think they may have an accelerator pump in the carbs that could cause a hesitation, but not sure what would cause the hard start after running and warmed up. Hopefully some one that knows will chime in