2004 F40 Tach Wiring

newf1

Seaman
Can anyone tell me how to hook up the Yamaha tach with oil and temp lights to my 2004 40HP 4 Stroke? The dealer wired in the tach but never wired in the temp or oil light warnings.<br /><br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 F40 Tach Wiring

if its to correct tach its all plug and play if genuine yamaha parts were used.<br /> all the connectors are there IF its genuine yamaha and if its an 04 tach.<br /> but there are two anaolog tachs and one digital avalible, only one of the analog tachs had the visual indicators. but its all in the 04 yamaha rigging guide. I dont have a copy of it here at home but its in there.

newf1

Seaman

The tack is an anolog, black, with the oil and temperature lights on the bottom. The dealer only selected the 3 wires (Green/yellow/Black) for the tach operation for me to hook-up. They did not give me instructions for hooking up the illumination light(blue/Black), oil(red-yellow/red-blue) and temp(red-yellow/green-red) lights. The green-red wire and red-blue wire is hooked into one box connector and bothe re-yellow wired join into one male connector.<br /><br />Not sure where to go from here?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what control box do you have?<br /> the tach light, blue12+ and black-, I usually hook to the ign switch but the blue can be hooked to the hull running light switch. the motor also requires a harness that runs from the engine to the dash for alarm visual indicate and for trim. its a 4 wire harness with a square plug/. if you dont have it you will need it.<br /> the connector is under the cowl near the 10 pin main harness, the rigging guide has the part numbers and shows the location of the engine connector.<br /> they yellow wire is key on 12v+ black will go to ground and green is tach signal. the 703 box(sidemount) has a pigtail hanging off it and requires an extension harness, the 704(binniclemount) has a seperate keyswitch and will require an extension harness. the harness has the yellow/blue light connection option built into it and 3 way bullet connectors on the guage end of the extension for yellow,green and black.

newf1

Seaman

The only thing is that it is to be wired directly to the motor as I do not have a control box (no trim). Basically what I am trying to figure out is how to hook the oil/temp lights up. The square connector for these only have two wires (green with red strip and red withblue stripe. There is a common wire from both which is a yellow with red stripe (male conector). I am assuming that this common wire which provides +12 with key on. It also appears that this connector can fit on where the onboard warning system lights in the front of motor is connected, inturn disconnecting the onboard warning system and routing it to the tach lights.<br /><br />The wiring info you provided makes complete sense regading the tach. I will wire the illumination light up to the bow lights as you suggested. Do you know what the 4 wires are for seperatly which is attached to the onboard waning lights in front of motor? If I could find out this the hookup should be fairly simple.<br /><br />Thanks again for the help.