2003 Yamaha T50 vs 2001 50 Honda

newf1

Seaman
I am looking at purchasing a Honda 50 four stroke or a Yamaha T50 High Thrust for my 16 foot Lund Stalker. I built a front deck and installed a trolling motor spare battery and 13 gal fuel tank in front. The Honda only has one season on it.

Any recomendations? Pros & cons?

D

DJ

Re: 2003 Yamaha T50 vs 2001 50 Honda

The high thrust is really not meant for your application.

Typically, those are reserved for high load applications-pontoons, barges, rafts, etc.

In my opinion, the Honda is overweight for its HP and the Yamaha. doesn't fit your application.

Both will work, but neither-well.

newf1

Seaman

Thanks.

Unfortunately these are my only two options at this time. I am currently using a 2004 40HP Yamaha 4 Stroke but am having problems with it as mentioned in my other thread under repairs and maintence.

The dealer offer to either even swap for the 50 Yamaha or cash back with the 2001 Honda. Both are in prestine condition.

Currently I am leaning towards the Honda. The boat is rated for a 40HP but with the addirtional added weight and repositioning of large fuel tank the best I could get is 27 mph WOT with 1 passanger. The boat handles like a dream with the extra weight. Apparently the 50 Honda is only 20Lbs heavier then the Yamaha 40 I currently have, including the Honda's power tilt and trim.

Honda?

Thanks again.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I had to repower I would go for the Honda, with reservations because of the overpower factor.

Make sure that your transom is sound and check with your insurance company about overpowering.

If I used good sense I would just get the Yammy F40 in peak tune and settle for 29-30mph. That is plenty fast for a 16' tinny.

newf1

Seaman

I agree with the Yammy but they can't figure out the problem. It starts to miss intermitently at higher RPM. The carbs where taken off, cleaned, coils tested, new brain box installed, new plugs, etc. Still missed on #1 cylinder. It is also manual tilt/trim.

If they can't figure out the 40 Yammy, Ill probably go with the honda. The transom is as sound as the day it was built and I don't believe weight is a problem, especially with the additions to the unit.

Too bad about the high thrust as it is in like new condition. Would this motor produce less speed at a lower gear ratio? The dealer mentioned that he did sell a few of these for regular fishing boats with no complaints but I wonder? I trust the dealer as they are very reputable people and even after owning the used motor for 1 year they are more then willing to accomadate. I do not want to wait till the end of fishing season for another 04 40HP to show up.

Thanks again for the help..

D

DJ

New,

If you trust the dealer, that's a big plus.

My experience with Honda has been less than pleasant. I was, they weren't.

Maybe it's just me.

newf1

Seaman

Tomorrow is the day I drop my boat and motor off to get refitted while heading to Cabela's to do some shopping for hunting season. Any more thoughts between the Yamaha T50 or Honda BF50?

The dealer is actually a Yamaha dealer and very good to deal with. The warrenty which will be provided is an in house warrenty so good service would not be an issue.

Thanks again for all the help.

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And he can't fix your Yammie, what does that tell you!!!:/

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tell them to spin it up on the test wheel part numberYB1611 and test the CDI output ,if it passes you eliminated the ign system and its on to fuel.
the 3 cyl F40 was a mercury repainted. the T50 is a yamaha design.
the merc motors had issues with stators,triggers and the motorola ign system in general.
but I never saw one I could not accuratly and easly diagnose.

Chunder06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the bet your motor will be for sale next week at a lot more than they gave you and running sweet.

newf1

Seaman

I just picked up the Honda BF 50. Looks good and I got the difference between the 2 returned in cash even after a years use.

There are a few scratches on the hood so I will get it repainted. Do anyone know where I can get the Honda BF50 decals besides Honda.

Thanks