2003 Yam 2 stroke 115TXRB

dorkhead

Seaman
Hey all Just bought boat used as is and before I bought it I saw it start and took a ride and ran it wide open. Had it in driveway for a few weeks now and tried to run it on the hose. Spins like it should but no fire. Pumped bulb-put throttle slighly forward - turned key and pushed in choke for a second but no fire. Any immediate thoughts? Mike

nanoa

Cadet
Re: 2003 Yam 2 stroke 115TXRB

Check the safety clip near the key engine will not start unless its clipped on good luck

dorkhead

Seaman

Hey guys I just put 4 new plugs in and after a couple of spins to clear the cylinders it fired up and ran like a car. I guess I'll thank myself.<br />Later guys.

dorkhead

Seaman

Hey guys I just put 4 new plugs in and after a couple of spins to clear the cylinders it fired up and ran like a car. I guess I'll thank myself.<br />Later guys.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like ya flooded it, recheck your starting procedure.<br /> on that model you must advance the warm up lever, push the key in and hold it in while cranking, if not you can crank on it till the cows die off and it wont start. the objective is to have it start at 1500 to 2000 RPM. same as old cars with carbs had the choke step set at 1100 to 1500 RPM, and two strokes dont like to start cold with no timing and throttle advance and no choke. my guess is the starting procedure was inccorrect.

dorkhead

Seaman

Rodbolt With all due respect to your vast knowledge, you just said to push the key in and hold it. You also said I probably flooded it. Wouldn't pushing the key in and holding it flood it? I am really open to suggestions. Also what do you mean start it at 1500 to 2000? Are you saying the batteries must be spinning the motor or are you saying that with the throttle lever advanced when it starts it should run about 1500 to 2000? And how would I know. This is my first Yamaha. I have a 1984 Mariner 75 hp that starts instantly all of the time. I turn the key start the motor spinning and push the choke in a touch and it fires right up. I tried holding the choke in(on the Yam) and I tried not holding it in but just giving it a short splash and it just doesn't fire right up. I remeber being at the ramp and firing up my Mariner and looking over at new Yamaha's cranking and cranking. I bought one anyway cause #1 it came with the boat I wanted and #2 it is supposed to be a very good motor. It looks well cared for(clean as a whistle)and I rode on it and it ran great. Even the mechanic at the dealership had a hard time starting it and he blamed it on his flooding it. How do I start it without flooding it. The advertising for these engines say(Sure,quick starts). Your thoughts again please. Thanks Rodbolt Boatwad

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on that yam it has choke butterflies not a primer system. it requires the choke to be held in while the engine is spinning. that motor starts easiest if you trim it to a level or negative trim, turn the key on,advance the warmup lever so it will be at 1500 or so when it starts, push the keyswitch in to activate the choke then turn it to the start position while holding it in to keep the choke activated.<br /> if its difficult to start using that method start looking for dirty carbs, a choke solinoid that is not properly adjusted or possibly a bad fuel pump diaphram. to "flood" a motor means excessive fuel. usually,especially if its in calm water, you can see the gas rainbow forming behind you and the plugs will be very wet and dripping fuel. not to be confused with the fact they normally are damp.<br /> but next time try my method of cranking.<br /> dont sweat it if it starts at 2000 you will learn about where 1500 is. remember this is not a 4 stroke, if it starts it has proper luberication. <br /> but yes if the motor is mechanically correct and the correct procedure for starting it is used they start very well and very rapidly. they dont like to start cold with no throttle advance.<br /> the 115,130 V4 yams are about the best out there for ease of use and reliability.<br /> remember if a battery cable or connection is getting weak it can draw all the current to the starter and not allow the choke to stay fully activated when cranking.<br /> a quick test is to try to start it with just the manual choke pulled.<br />if it starts easily with the manual choke pulled and not easily with the electric choke then you know what part of the system to look at.

dorkhead

Seaman

Rodbolt Have a good question for ya. When my motor is running, should I be able to stall it out if I push in the electric choke. Let me say this. My motor doesnt stall or even change sound if I push in the electric choke or pull out the manual choke. It's as if there are no butterflies on it at all. Does that sound right to you? Thanks Mike

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

It may not stall it but it should make a drastic change. It sounds like it isn't working.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with ray.<br /> if the system is working you will at a minimum get a drastic change in RPM when the choke is activated either manually or electrically at idle. usually it will flood and die.<br /> sounds like something is not right with the choke linkage and would explain the hard starting.<br /> look at the linkage at the fwd stbd side of the carbs when activating the choke.<br /> if it does not move or one carb is not connected that may be a problem.<br /> two strokes dont like starting cold with no method to force the air fuel ratio rich. in fact no motor likes a cold start without some method of adding extra fuel. EFI motors do it electronically via the temp sensor and the ecu adjusting injector on time. carbed motors reqire either a primer system that adds extra gas or a choke that physically resticts air and forces the mix rich until the egine is warm.

dorkhead

Seaman

Thanks Rod and Ray I was thinking the same thing. I will check it out asap. Thanks again Mike