2003 Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke choking, gasping, dying

hindsight

Cadet
Here's the full detail...<br /><br />I just bought this next-to-new motor from a guy at our local sailing club for use on my sailboat. Seller just had it serviced. Installed motor on boat with brand new 3.1 gal fuel tank, new fuel hose and bulb (packaging said hose assembly was for 9.8hp motor, but I think they are common to all 2.5-9.9hp 4-strokes), filled tank with Shell 89 octane gasoline. Motor started on first pull and I let it warm for approx. 5 minutes. Dropped it into gear and motored right along at less than half throttle. After running a bit I noticed it started to skip out at 1/2 throttle... especially when I was turning the boat. The warmer the motor got the worse the sputtering got. Seemed to improve when I backed off the throttle until I couldn't get it into gear without it dying. The vent on the gas tank is wide open. Luckily there was some wind and I was able to sail into my slip.<br /><br />Motor has about 3 hours total time on it and is still under warranty, but nearest service center is 80 miles away and will take awhile to get back.<br /><br />Am I missing something simple that I can do myself? Parts like fuel filters and service manuals seem nearly impossible to get unless you travel to a dealer. Any advise?

jrod8v92ti

Seaman
Re: 2003 Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke choking, gasping, dying

sounds like funk, but <br />it is under waranty and it is <br />the companys responsibility to ensure the motor runs and performs as designed.<br /> If you call up the dealer and scheduled a time slot with a mechanic to effect the repairs while you make a shopping trip.<br />you might also want to pick up the nice little lite green factory service manual.<br />your dealer should be able to ship or drop ship parts to your address.

james082273

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hate to mention something as simple as this but could it be cavitation? As your boat gets moving faster your motor maybe sucking in air every few seconds and causing it to jump which may appear as the engine is running funny.<br /><br />Never mind I just reread your post about it dying in gear.... <br /><br />Just a thought.

hindsight

Cadet

Thanks for the insights. I think I'm going to have to take it in. Thanks.