2003 Larson S.E.I. 180BR ... HELP!

Fastfred57

Recruit
:confused:

Can any of you Larson experts out there tell me if this is a good boat? I read about over heating problems on another website but have seen not mention here.

Boat details: Average condition w-price of $10m..w- 3.0 L, P.S. swing away trailer, snap on cover, CD,FM, and depth finder. I know NADA has $8m for the boat but the dealer says they use a different book ---ABOS Marine Blue Book. He provide a copy of the report and it priced at $10m.

I am looking a purchasing this boat from a dealer. He will provide me with a 90-day full warranty from the time of first service. He is a long-time dealer has a great rep.

My Wife and I have a 8 and 9 year old. We like to tube, swim off, and just cruise with our '88 run about and are looking to upgrade. Is this a good boat for us?

Thanks!!

dhook

Cadet
Re: 2003 Larson S.E.I. 180BR ... HELP!

I personally think its high. I paid 10K for an 05 2 years ago. WITH a 4.3 v6. I do not think you will be happy with that small engine. I don't care what book he's using for price. Times are different and I don't see alot of people lined up at my local boat dealers. Now if anything is the time to strike a good deal. I would offer 7, He'll counter with 9. I would go 7.5 best offer or walk, he might let you walk but I bet he calls you back. If you can live with the motor and its in great shape. Check Craigslists for boats. I had to drive 4 hours but I feel I got a good deal on mine.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a new 2008 in Late 2009 for 22K. I have seen the same boat at dealer's today with a price in the upper 20's. I don't believe you will be happy with the 3.0L motor. Look for a V6 and you should be able to find a lower priced boat. I drove 8 hours each way but saved around 7grand! It is a buyers market right now, don't be afraid to drive a little.

ttugrad

Seaman

I have the 3.0 and am very happy with it. Prop it correctly and it will do just about anything you ask of it to the tune of 40-42 MPH with 2 adults and 2 kids on board. I think that the price is high, especially for the 3.0.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Are we talking US Dollars here? I don't know what the 'm' is in your dollar denominations. As for the Larson and overheating they use the same 3.0 as every other manufacturer using Mercruiser so it can't be a Larson specific issue. As for if you will like it or not: Compared to your current 88 you will probably be blown away. I bet that 3.0 will keep you happy for a while. Ask a guy with a v6 and he'll tell you a 4 cylinder is not enough. Ask a guy with a v8 and he'll tell you a V6 is not enough. Ask a guy with a 4 cylinder and he'll likely not know what he is missing and will be convinced it is fantastic and/or his human nature is showing. As to price, I don't know where you are located but boat market price is very regional and seasonal. In Minnesota where boats always command a premium and moreso in the spring, 10k for a low end, budget, everybody has one Larson, with the base engine is a bit on the high side if we are talking usd. Four cylinders are a dime a dozen while the sweet spot is in the v6 as they get the same 'mileage' as a 4 cylinder with 50% more power while $4.00+/gallon gas drives people away from the v8. My opinion is if your going to spend the money and go throught the process, get the v6 and be satisfied longer for not much more money. It is hard to ignore a 50% (carb)-70% (MPI) power increase.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I love my SEI 178, it has a 3.0, we pull toys, with a loaded boat with a 19", and when we just cruise, I put on a 23", boat will run 45 MPH and cruise at 30MPH, very good on fuel.

bmw71683

Recruit

:confused:

Can any of you Larson experts out there tell me if this is a good boat? I read about over heating problems on another website but have seen not mention here.

Boat details: Average condition w-price of $10m..w- 3.0 L, P.S. swing away trailer, snap on cover, CD,FM, and depth finder. I know NADA has $8m for the boat but the dealer says they use a different book ---ABOS Marine Blue Book. He provide a copy of the report and it priced at $10m.

I am looking a purchasing this boat from a dealer. He will provide me with a 90-day full warranty from the time of first service. He is a long-time dealer has a great rep.

My Wife and I have a 8 and 9 year old. We like to tube, swim off, and just cruise with our '88 run about and are looking to upgrade. Is this a good boat for us?

Thanks!!

Hi:

I bought a Larson 2003 last year and bought the boat because Larson's are one of the better boats around. I am moving up to a larger size boat because of needs - most likely 19 to 20 feet, but Larson, Glastron and Mariah all have the VEC hull design and stainless steel parts making these boats better. When it comes to price just shop around and do your negotiating...it is a buyers market. But next to Chaparrel and Regal Larson is one of the better mid-size boat lines out there. Bruce - 609-828-9985