2003 Expedition tow lights

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2003 Expedition that I use as my tow vehicle. Truck tows the boat just fine and is very stable. My problem is in my lights. I have stop and turn lights, but no tail lights(when I turn my headlights on the trailers tail lights dont come on). I have checked voltage at my plug and do not have any voltage at the tail light pin. I have the flat type connector, but also have the round type and no joy there either. Fuses are all fine, and all the lights work fine on the truck itself. Is there a relay thats just for the trailer tail lights that I dont know about?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2003 Expedition tow lights

I don't think there is a relay for the trailer lights. I tmight sound crazy but I think you have a ground problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If there was a ground problem the other lights wouldn't work or would work in a very odd fashion. If you don't have power for the running lights at the trailer connector, check the truck for a blown fuse. It would be a fuse for the trailer harness.

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As Silvertip said. Your Expedition should have a seperate fuse panel for trailer lights. It's in a different place than the one for the truck lights. On my '04 F150, it's behind the right kick panel.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the same problem on my trailblazer, blown fuse was under rear bench

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look in the fuse box under the hood. It's located right in front of the driver. There is a fuse which powers only the trailer marker/side lights. I've replaced the blown fuse in my neighbor's F-150 and Expedition for the same trailer light symptom.