2003 Crownline initial starting problem

Crown03

Recruit
I have a 2003 225BR with an 5.7 Gsi volvo penta. All of a sudden, it has a difficult time starting on initial start-up. After started, there doesn't seem to be a problem. When the key is turned on, there are a couple of beeps and you can hear the electronic fuel pump pressure on and cut off. The engine just turns over and over. I try pumping it (not sure that makes a difference with MPI and injectors.). It takes forever to start. It would typically start up immediately, even after setting all winter. Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
So after starting does it idle fine? Run OK with boat on a plane? What about turning off the engine and starting it 5 min later?

So the next time after the boat has been sitting overnight at least pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like.

I do not believe pumping the throttle does anything on a EFI engine.

Also after sitting overnight try a shot of starter fluid. It should start immediately and run for at least a second or two.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome, need more info on motor model

It's a GSI what?

Pumping the throttle on a EFI/MPI does nothing. Some if the throttle is moved close to 3/4 then fuel is shut off, this is flood mode.

Crown03

Recruit

It's a GSI what?

Pumping the throttle on a EFI/MPI does nothing. Some if the throttle is moved close to 3/4 then fuel is shut off, this is flood mode.
Hello, the motor is a 5.7Gi-B. Acquiring as much info as possbile. Thanks.

Crown03

Recruit

It's a GSI what?

So after starting does it idle fine? Run OK with boat on a plane? What about turning off the engine and starting it 5 min later?

So the next time after the boat has been sitting overnight at least pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like.

I do not believe pumping the throttle does anything on a EFI engine.

Also after sitting overnight try a shot of starter fluid. It should start immediately and run for at least a second or two.
Yes, after it starts it idles just fine and runs just fine. I can turn it off and then restart it just fine. The only thing now is it takes forever to start initially. I am going to work on it some more tonight and see if I can find anything out. From one weekend to the next, it would start immediately one weekend and the next weekend it would hardly start at all. Something changed and it seems to be all of a sudden. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hello, the motor is a 5.7Gi-B. Acquiring as much info as possbile. Thanks.
Thanks Gi-B

MPI with flat Dizzy cap (crap cap)

The distributor caps are called crap caps because they can look brand new and still have problems. Not saying this is your issue but we tell folks with one of those should replace and if it doesn't fix the issue, keep it because it will show it's head again

Without a scanner I would start with simple stuff like check fuel pressure at the rail. Should be 50-60 psi

Crown03

Recruit
Thanks Gi-B

MPI with flat Dizzy cap (crap cap)

The distributor caps are called crap caps because they can look brand new and still have problems. Not saying this is your issue but we tell folks with one of those should replace and if it doesn't fix the issue, keep it because it will show it's head again

Without a scanner I would start with simple stuff like check fuel pressure at the rail. Should be 50-60 psi
Perfect! Thank you