2003 50 hp starter

bobmac

Cadet
My engine's starter self-engages or keeps running after it starts. I can not make it a regular issue, it just happens sporadically. I have replaced the ignition switch and it seemed to work - for a very short time. Some times it just trys to start without turning the key - again, not regularly. I checked for shorted wires and didn't find any. Any ideas????

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2003 50 hp starter

Just thinking from an electrical stand point, isolate the switch by using two toggle switches; one for power and the other for cranking. (like are on race cars) try this a while and see if problem continues. If it does, then you can rule out a switch problem. Could be a shorted out power plug going to the motor that may not be visable. how often does it happen? how old of equipment are we dealing with?

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you checked the start circuit wire, should be yellow witha red stripe, and make sure no part of that wire is in contact with power anywhere in the boat. this means you may have to inspect the entire harness where visible, you may have either a bad boat harness, which merc has had ther problems with them, or a bad engine harness. i cant see the solenoid or starter being bad and causing this, you can isolate that wire from your keyswitch with a jumper wire and tie it down inplace of the yellow red, basically bypassing the engine harness start circuit as a troubleshooting guide. you can email me directly if need be for futher help at marinegrh@bellsouth.net good luck and fair winds

bobmac

Cadet

I won't have a chance to give your suggestions a try for a few days between work and lousy weather. I had considered a shorted wire as the cause, but haven't found one yet and can't imagine where there could be wear on a wire to cause the short. I'm running a 2003 Crestliner pontoon with the 2003 50 hp merc. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid can indeed be the problem. The internal contacts that connect the two large terminals can stick when the key is released from the start position which causes the starter to stay engaged. This is a very easy problem to troubleshoot. Keep a voltmeter on the boat. Next time it acts up, quickly check the small terminal on the starter solenoid to ground. If you measure nothing with the starter running, the solenoid is bad. Thats the only thing that can engergize the starter with no voltage on the start terminal. You can also temporarily wire a small 12V bulb between that terminal and ground. When you turn the key to START the lamp should light. If the starter stays engaged but the light is not on, its a defective solenoid. If the starter stays engaged AND the light is on, the ignition switch is bad or there is a harness problem.

bobmac

Cadet

I traced the wires and didn't find any shorts. I disconnected the harness at the engine and did not find any problems. Since then it seems to be okay! I have no idea what "fixed" the problem. My best guess is the main connection at the engine had a bad connection. Thanks for the help!