2003 50 HP 2 stroke water pump question

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Purchased a boat last winter, '82 16' Smoker Craft with a 2003 50 hp 2 stroke. Fired up but did not run on the lake due to high winds and low temps. Took it out a few times this summer but only on a lake where I couldnt use the outboard. I fired it up once a month with ear muffs and would verify that I had water pumping out. Didnt let it run very long since I was on the muffs. The last time I fired it up, no water pumping out the weep hole. Ran a piece of weedeater string up the hose to the block, no restrictions. Fired it up, still no water coming out and shut it down. Removed the thermostat and turned it over but no water coming to the t-stat. Ordered a water pump kit and t-stat (probably didn't need the t-stat but it's old and since I was in there, etc.). Replaced the t-stat and while doing that I used my compressor to see if the air was coming through after I dropped the lower unit. Air is coming through from the pickup tube to the weep hole. Looking at the lower unit, it appears there was some muddy water in there at one time and am wondering two things: 1- does the mud indicate something else that I should be looking for or just clean it and move on and 2 - since I dont seem to have any water blockages on the block, does it seem reasonable that mud washed down into the area below the water pump inlet and is blocking the water? Also, when the temperature was warmer I put a tub underneath it, lowered the motor into the water (like it would be on the lake) to see if maybe something would loosen up and drain out - nope, that didn't work either. The impeller looks good but am going to replace all the parts in the kit. I've included pictures of all, please let me know if I need to take pictures of something else.

Attachments

• lower unit 2.jpg
    lower unit 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • lower unit 1.jpg
    lower unit 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • lower unit 3.jpg
    lower unit 3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • lower unit 4.jpg
    lower unit 4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • water pump 3.jpg
    water pump 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • water pump 2.jpg
    water pump 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • water pump 7.jpg
    water pump 7.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 7
  • water pump 6.jpg
    water pump 6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • water pump 5.jpg
    water pump 5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

airshot

Rear Admiral
Running on muffs will not confirm the pump is pumping, as the pressure from the muffs will make water come out the telltale. Running in a barrel or on the lake will let you know for sure....however, being a new to you motor, a new water pump should have been done right away !!

jeepinandy58

Cadet
I have attached a picture of the old impeller, have not cleaned it. Seems okay but ya'll might see something that I don't. All responses are appreciated by this rookie!

Attachments

• Impeller.jpg
    Impeller.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Running on muffs will not confirm the pump is pumping, as the pressure from the muffs will make water come out the telltale. Running in a barrel or on the lake will let you know for sure....however, being a new to you motor, a new water pump should have been done right away !!
Thanks Airshot. I get what you are saying and that makes sense. Got another question. It seems that if I had put it in a tub initally rather than relying on muffs, I may not have gotten the water out the telltale based on what it was doing. Does that sound about right? The key was in place so I know the impeller was turning. Will definitely replace water pump on any future purchase. Appreciate the advice.

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Is this a salt water motor ? Seems like lots of corrosion or crud.
No, this is freshwater only. I wrapped a wet washcloth (not one of the wifes good ones - I like breathing and sleeping peacefully, lol!) around the shaft. Wiped it off earlier today and it appears to be mud. I've never seen anything like this but it has been a long time since I had an outboard. That being said, I removed all the parts in the diagram (same ones included in the water pump kit). Looking into the lower unit there is no restriction on either side to the impeller but this same mud seems to be in there. Looking into the driveshaft housing and water tube I see the same mud. I still have the old thermostat, just checked it and can see a thin coating of mud on it. If I remember correctly there was a thin coating of this mud in the weep hole hose coming off the block. Dingbat recommended replacing the impeller. So my plan at this point is (as best I can) cleaning out the driveshaft housing, pickup tube, and all of the lower unit. Install the water pump kit and, once we have warmed up a little here in Tennessee, put it back in the tub of water and see how it acts at that point. Does that seem reasonable and is there anything else that anyone would/should do? fyi, I have almost completely rewired the boat (numerous splices, incorrect battery switch setup, wrong wire gauge used). The one other thing that is bugging me is why/how mud or muddy water would be all on the inside of the driveshaft housing. I dont see anything cracked, etc. but that could be due to me not knowing what to look for. I drained the gear oil and everything looks normal as far as I can tell; no metal shavings, no water.

Attachments

• lower unit 5.jpg
    lower unit 5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looks like your on the right path, you might do a spark jump test to see how good the spark is. Buy a good quality rebuild kit for the carbs and do a complete rebuild on them. When you do get it running, a good seafoam treatment will clean out the cylinders. Keep us posted......

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Will do Airshot, thanks to all of yall for the help/advice. Got to let the weather get better before I can do anything, I'll get the lower unit ready to go while I wait for Middle Tennessee to thaw out, :)