2003 150 opti max cold starting problem

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have an on going problem with one of the two 150 opti max motors on my 253 Mako. This happens each time the temp goes below 45 degrees. One engine starts fine the other won't start at all. seems to crank slow Dealers can't find anything wrong with the motor. The just changed the starter this year we will see if that works. They all said these motors a very funny with less than 12.4 volts.I have just talked with Mercury reps and they say there has been a memorandom out to all dealers since 2002 saying any opti max motors installations run futher than 22 feet from batties require 0 gauge wire. I check with 2 dealers and ask what wire they run for there instalations more than 22 feet and they both said 2 gauge wire. I have been running on 1 motor for the 7 mile treck to the ocean and by then its warm enought outside that the other one starts. I shouldn't have to do this! I have brand new batteries just to eliminate them. Any idea's?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 150 opti max cold starting problem

I'dd go further than that ot guage wire and make it 0 guage welder wire.These engines HAVE to have good clean power to operate.Do you have to make that long battery cable run,or can the batteries be repositioned closer to the engines?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi The cables are as short as possible now. 22 ft They were 32 ft at one time all coiled up in the bildge. Thats what boat MFG did.<br />steve

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Boat manufacturers do'nt always do things right.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Or, do you have the space to operate each engine on it's own dual battery system?