2003 115pl idle question for dhadley

motor man

Recruit
Hello dhadley...quick question...I have a 2003 181/2 Sea Hunt, with a 115 Johnson. During extended idle periods the engine loads up. I have already tried to adjust the carbs on the top of the engine. The lower mixture screws have an adhesive poured over the heads. Does this mean DON'T TOUCH them, or can I adjust them? If so, can you also reply with the proper procedure?<br /><br />I am a channel fisherman, so I am constantly idling for extended periods. Is this a problem for this engine? Maybe because it is a typical 2 stroke engine that doesn't like to idle for very long, or can it be rectified? I had a 91 40hp TNT, and it would idle endlessly without a hitch.<br /><br />I am running Citgo Super Guard TCW3.<br /><br />Thanks for your input! :D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 115pl idle question for dhadley

What spark plugs are you using? That motor should also idle perfectly for hours on end.

motor man

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response! I am still a bit unsure on the matter...I am using the factory recomended QL78YC plugs. <br />Can I lean out on the carbs a little? The plugs have 10hrs. on them.<br />I mentioned the oil I was using, is that a factor?<br />She runs beautifully otherwise...lightning excellaration, excellent throttle response, just a lumpy idle. Are V4's usually lumpy at idle?<br /><br />Again, thanks! :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That plug should be OK. Lets look at something else. What is the top rpm you get with a normal load?<br /><br />Yes you can adjust the idle mix but its usually real close as is.<br /><br />Have you done a decarb on it?